Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2008 20:00

WiFi driver issue

i have re-installed windows xp in my laptop Dell Vostro 1400. it came with Vista but i have formatted and installed registered xp in it. when i installed WiFi driver in it (downloaded form Dell site), the driver works fine but because of this driver my machine gets stuck right after startup (when its shows the desktop). i was thinking that maybe its windows defect but now i came to know that when i uninstall the driver, it dont stuck.. Can anyone tell me about the driver.. which can i install??..

i have tried a lot of drivers from Dell site. specifically for this model.

Can anyone give a specific link for the right driver?  i will be very thankful :)

28K Posts

November 13th, 2008 06:00

All drivers for your system can be found at:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1400&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

Note that you will never get the wireless drivers to install if you did not install drivers in the correct order.  The Notebooks System Software and Chipset drivers MUST be installed first.

Steve

2.4K Posts

November 13th, 2008 09:00

Here is the link for XP drivers.

Just make sure you have loaded Notebook System Software and Chipset drivers first.

Inspiron E1505
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
4GB DDR2, 667MHz Crucial Memory
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/-RW Phillips Drive
Dell Wireless 1500 802.11N Mini Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0 + EDR)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Bios A17
pur. Sept. 7 2006
WRT350N Linksys Router
Seagate FeeAgent 320GB External HD

1.7K Posts

November 14th, 2008 09:00

All you should need to do is reinstall the drivers in the correct order, starting with the Dell Notebook (or Desktop) System Software, then Chipset, then the remaining drivers (video, audio, network).

28K Posts

November 12th, 2008 22:00

You need to tell us whether you have the Dell wireless adapter or the Intel wireless adapter physically present in your 1400.

Steve

7 Posts

November 13th, 2008 00:00

can you please tell me the link for both, Dell and Intel.. because i think its Dell but i dont have it with me right now thats why i am not too sure.

Thanks for your help

Cheers :

7 Posts

November 13th, 2008 00:00

can you please tell me the link for both, Dell and Intel.. because i think its Dell but i dont have it with me right now thats why i am not too sure.

Thanks for your help

Cheers :)

7 Posts

November 13th, 2008 20:00

Hi Steve and DallasCowBoy, Thanks a lot for your help. i think this is the actual problem i am facing coz i dont think that i have installed chipset driver first..

Can you please let me know that what i have to do now?. can i just uninstall all the drivers and then install in the correct order or do i need to format my C: drive again?

Thanks

7 Posts

November 13th, 2008 20:00

Hi Steve and DallasCowBoy, Thanks a lot for your help. i think this is the actual problem i am facing coz i dont think that i have installed chipset driver first..

Can you please let me know that what i have to do now?. can i just uninstall all the drivers and then install in the correct order or do i need to format my C: drive again?

Thanks

7 Posts

November 19th, 2008 04:00

ah.. thank you so much for you kind help guys... i did it!.. and its working perfectly fine now :)

Can you please tell me about SM Bus Controller? when i check the device manager, its showing that the SM Bus Controller is not installed.. can anyone help with this one??.. i dont know what is this and from where i can get it.. is this BIOS or something else? Please HELP!! 

Thanks a lot!

1.7K Posts

November 19th, 2008 07:00

If you installed the Dell Notebook System Software and Intel Chipset Software, the drivers for the SM Bus Controller should have been installed.

7 Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

yes i have installed Notebook system software first and then chipset but still its showing yellow question mark on that. what should i do now.... on Dell's website, for my laptop i just found two chipset drivers, one is RICOH DRIVER and the second one is INTEL DRIVER...  i installed RICOH DRIVER because the INTEL is MOBILE CHIPSET... please advice me.. is INTEL the correct one for my system?

Now i have installed all the drivers and applications on my system.. can i install the INTEL MOBILE CHIPSET now?

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2008 07:00

Yes, you need to install the Intel Chipset Software.  The RICOH driver is for the card reader.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 19:00

I have just reinstalled Win Xp in my Vostro 1400 and trying to install the drivers orderly folowing the instructions from:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=268873&doclang=en?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

But don't see any "System Utilities" category under the "Driver and Download" page.

Please Help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 4th, 2012 00:00

nain426,

Dell Notebook System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list. Thes notebook system utility and the chipset drivers know what is attached to this model and help with installation. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

No Events found!