Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2015 04:00

WiFi issues with new XPS 13 (9350)

Hello,

Last week I got my new XPS 13 (9350 with touch). Most things are absolutely fine, just the internet connection is horrible when I am not sitting next to the router, which not an option for me. The WiFi adapter is a Dell Wireless 1820A and the drivers are the latest (1.519.0.0), though it didn't worked with the preinstalled one as well.

Someone pointed me that it might be related to 2,4 and 5 GHz connections, but I am currently not able to disable 5 GHz WiFi at the router (if this really should be the issue). At the same time I am using a Realtek RTL8191SU USB-Adapter, with that I have absolutely usable internet at the same position I do not have a real connection with the built-in adapter.

I used the cmd commands netsh > wlan > show all and it displays me, that I am connected with the built-in adapter using 802.11n through Channel 6 with 20% signal quality. With the Realtek adapter it says 802.11g, Channel 6 and 82% signal quality. Channel 6 is 2,4 GHz for me.

In the Adapter Properties for the Realtek adapter I can set the connection mode to either 802.11b, 802.11b/g or 802.11b/g/n (the last one is selected). In the Properties for the built-in adapter I cannot set anything like this, though I believe it could work to disable 802.11n. Is there another way to do this or any other solution?

Best Regards

1.8K Posts

November 15th, 2015 15:00

Hello,

I think if you go into the Advanced Tab of the there should be the option to select the property range of the 802.11 setting.   You don't see that option, or the option to disable 802.11n is not one of the options?

What happens to your channel quality if you change to one of the channels on either end of the spectrum?  Do you see any significant increase in quality if you try those with the integrated wireless adapter?

I would also recommend trying the various channels with the bluetooth adapter enabled and disabled and see if that makes any difference in your connectivity.   Here is a link to a support article on Resolving Connection Issues on your Wifi Network when using Windows 10.   You may want to check out that article and see if there is anything else that help you.

Let me know about the various channels, and with Bluetooth disabled, and if that helps or not.  If not, I'll see what else I can recommend to help you, since I know these wireless issues can be frustrating to try to figure out.

Todd

2 Posts

November 18th, 2015 03:00

Hi, I've seen a lot of people complaining about wifi connectivity using their XPS 13 since the latest Windows 10 update.  I had exactly the same problem: my wifi worked only at home, where I sit virtually next to the router.  Anywhere where I tried to use public wifi, in libraries or cafes, the signal would drop after a minute or less - and for long periods the computer would fail to recognise the network hardware at all.  Switching to flight mode, or rebooting entirely, had no effect.

After a lot of tinkering I discovered that rolling back to the previous version of the wireless network driver solved the problem at a stroke.  I'm certain it was the Windows update that caused the problem: before it was installed, everything worked perfectly; the day I installed it, wifi stopped functioning.

I don't know whether this is a Windows problem or the driver is at fault (I'm not even sure whether that Win 10 update installed a new driver), but whoever is responsible needs to issue a patch soonest.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2016 12:00

I have the same problem except I cannot roll back the driver.  I tried installing the A00 driver but it will not install, I have also installed the October Driver which did not help, and obviously the latest December driver does nothing.  I am hopeful that this is a driver problem and not a hardware problem.  Please release a new driver DELL!

1 Message

April 7th, 2016 18:00

We are experiencing a similar problem wit the Dell XPS 13 9530 using Dell Wireless 1820A WiFi (the Broadcom chipset).

We can connect to a standard WPA encrypted network, but we cannot connect to a WPA Enterprise network that is using  RAdius to control authentication.

We have tried upgrading the Dell from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, we have tried clean installing Windows 10, then using only the Windows Update drivers downloaded when connected via ethernet. It will use the latest Dell Driver, 1.555.0.0 from 11/26/2015, the same as at Dell's website, and continue to have troubles connecting to our network. It DOES work in Windows 8.1. 

We have tried this on multiple Dell XPS13 models, bother older and newer, and the issue persists. Is there an updated driver that will allow these computers, when on Windows 10, join a corporate network? At the moment, there units now running Windows 10, are useless.

1 Message

April 21st, 2016 10:00

We had a similar problem with the Dell 1820 and Marvell (Surface) Wi-Fi cards where it would not successfully connect if using radius authentication and dynamic VLANs.

Upgrading the firmware on our access points fixed the problem.  In our case we were using Ruckus access points on firmware 9.6.015.  Upgrading to 9.9.1.0.31 fixed the issue.

1 Message

June 5th, 2016 04:00

i am facing the same issue and seems that a number of other users are facing the same.

some changes on the advance proprieties of the network adapter will help but i am not sure how to do it!

all my other wireless devices are working fine from the same location but not my XPS!!!

can any one from dell help please???

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as well. Even when I'm just standing next to my router, the xps 13 9350 can only detect 11 mbps while my other machines can detect 70 mbps. Can someone help me? Would greatly appreciate it!

No Events found!