Kwjamesblond
1 Nickel

Wifi not working on Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7537)

I just booted up my laptop this morning and Firefox can't connect through the wifi.  I went online and someone said the wifi card in the laptop was bad and I was wondering what my options were.  I don't want to get a new laptop of the same type if it also will have the same problem.  I was also wondering what the hotkey was to turn the wifi on and off was just to be sure it wasn't that.  Also I have checked device manager and everything seems to be in order.

Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
10 Replies

RE: Wifi not working on Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7537)

Kwjamesblond,

Does your wifi connect in Internet Explorer? What Operating System do you have installed?

Bluetooth is integrated into the WLAN card and there is no physical switch to enable/ disable wireless. Using the separate wireless key in keyboard customer can turn on/ off Bluetooth and WLAN. You can press FN+F2 to see if that will enable/disable the wifi.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
Kwjamesblond
1 Nickel

I'm running windows 10 and I was able to get wifi working after scanning for spyware but it was down for 5-6 hours before that.  I also had the problem when logging on the systems my keyboard would not work until I rebooted.  These problems are very frustrating but it's good to know it still works at some level.

-Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
Kwjamesblond
1 Nickel

Oh internet explorer did not work either.

0 Kudos
Chrisg750
1 Copper

If you press Fn + PrntScreen, you'll have the laptop on airplane mode. Try Enabling and disabling airplane mode to see if wi fi reconnects. If not, this next step worked for me. Find your way to the Network and Sharing Center (search at start menu, or find your way through control panel). Change adapter settings> click on the Wi Fi Adapter> Disable the network device. Wait a few seconds and Enable it again. This brought my connection back right away. Dell has to fix this with some firmware update most likely. It's happened to me much too often. Probably a few times per week (using it on a daily basis). Hope this helps anyone else.
EdgarasP
1 Copper

Re: Wifi not working on Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7537)

My Dell Inspiron 7537 WIFI adapter stopped working after Windows 10 cumulative update. My solution: Device manager > Human Interface Devices -> Airplane Mode Switch Collection -> Disable device.

im thanking you after successfully connected to wi-fi, mine is 7537 inspiron from Malaysia.

0 Kudos
MrPixure
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 17 Series 7000 after Win10 updates, rendered WiFi inoperable. Airplane mode would not return to OFF state, WiFi mode would not return to ON state. The "fix" listed in this thread did NOT work.

Only rolling back to 4-5 previous Win10 states restored WiFi service - but as soon as a new Win10 update came. BAM! Back to inoperability. 

Purchased external USB WiFi, disabled internal WiFi hardware. Same thing. No functionality. (New WiFi hardware lights up briefly, but the WiFi ON/OFF software switch...after about 2 seconds...returns to OFF...on its own! As if by some unseen hand. 

It seems Microsoft & Dell need to get there $#!t together..."non-supported" hardware or not. Makes me want to buy an Apple Macbook Pro...This laptop is in tiptop shape  - thank goodness I rarely need it with or without WiFi, but when I need it - I REALLY need it. This is VERY frustrating.

jleebiker
1 Copper

I am having a similar problem. I think it is tied to the WLAN card as my Bluetooth connected mouse would not connect at the same time. I booted into BIOS and did the networking test. Rebooted and Windows could use WiFi and BT mouse again. Later, the WiFi wouldn't connect. Rebooting and running the network test does not help now.

REALLY not in the mood to replace the whole laptop simply because of the WLAN card. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
NeilABC
1 Copper

Same issues here with a 7537 and the Windows 10 auto updates. I managed by rolling the update back a few times, but then I got caught out by the ten day rule. I have tried a BIOS update, driver updates, the airplane mode disable, a WLAN card change, and all the auto diagnostics. And it looks like I've also just wasted my money ordering a USB dongle. As described, it simply refuses to keep the wifi on for more than a second or so. And while a direct Ethernet connection does work, even that seems a bit flaky and anyhow isn't an option for my daughter at Uni. Frustrating !!
0 Kudos