Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 29th, 2006 13:00

Wifi shows connected, but no internet

I recently formatted my Inspiron 6000 as I used to get an error 80% of the time after startup (tried downloading every bloody patch!).Unfortunately I did not create the backup CD, so I had to download and transfer every single driver. Ever since, I am not able to connect to the internet using Wifi or the ethernet cable. The wifi status shows that it is connected but IE shows "Page cannot be displayed". I've spent couple of days on this - nothing so far.I would appreciate any ideas

Riyas

28K Posts

Did you install the chipset drivers before attempting to install other device drivers?  If not, you will probably have to uninstall all device, install the chipset drivers, then reinstall all of the drivers for the other devices.

Steve

9 Posts

Not sure which order I installed........I'm sure I installed the chipset though. Does it matter even if it shows "connected to wifi"?

28K Posts

August 29th, 2006 14:00

To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

9 Posts

Tried that too! Installed the Chipset first followed by the intel pro wireless, network adapter

Any other suggestions? 

28K Posts

Often times devices do not work properly if the chipset drivers aren't installed first.  Since the wireless adapter has to communicate throught the motherboard and since the chipset drivers tell Windows how to communicate through the motherboard, anything that relies on the motherboard, usually needs the chipset drivers installed first to work properly.  I can't say for sure that this is your problem, but it is certainly a good suspect if you don't know in which order you installed the drivers.

Steve

9 Posts

August 29th, 2006 15:00

I'm still waiting on a response to ipconfig

9 Posts

August 29th, 2006 15:00

C:\Documents and Settings\Riyas>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : riyas-notebook

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont

roller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-DE-C2-4B

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network

Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-24-3A-0D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.251.113

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

2K Posts

August 29th, 2006 17:00

ping out from the computer, to your router for example

Now try to ping from another computer on your local network to your 169.254.251.113

If you are able to ping out but NOT able to ping IN, then turn off internet security.

I had a connection which worked fine to begin with but later the only way I could get web browser to get connected to a web link was to turn off (for "four hours") the Symantec Internet Security. It made everything work fine every time I disabled it. If you run ZoneAlarm or McAfee (two other examples) try turning those off until you get it to work again.

9 Posts

August 29th, 2006 18:00

I tried to ping the router and from another computer to the laptop - laptop gives the message "destination host unreachable" and all packets lost. Desktop gives the message "Request timed out" with all the packets lost. I just don't get it........it shows excellent connection to my router.

2K Posts

August 29th, 2006 19:00

You could try doing an "Add" to put your gateway (router) TCP/IP address there.

IPCONFIG /?

should give you all the options

You could try to release your TCP/IP address and then renew

something like

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

(or release all)

then

IPCONFIG /RENEW

(you can figure out from the HELP produced by the /? at the start)

9 Posts

August 30th, 2006 11:00

I've tried that too. Still doesn't work. I rang up Dell support today (I am outside the US) and they told me it might be something with the proxy server.
No Events found!