Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2015 01:00

Will DW1705 card (wifi+bluetooth) work with Studio 1749 laptop?

I wanted to add bluetooth functionality to my Studio 1749 laptop. I don't want to add a bluetooth dongle and occupy a USB port permanently.

I thought I can swap my current wifi card with the DW1705 wifi+bluetooth card.

Can someone let me know if it will work? Or recommend some other card that will? A link to a product page on Dell / Amazon / Ebay will be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 03:00

November 2nd, 2015 03:00

Thanks a ton for this useful info!! Going forward...

A screenshot from the manual shows these slots

For me, the WLAN slot already has a wi-fi card installed - which, I think is half-height. The WWAN is full-height and is empty. Can I not take the wifi-only WLAN card out and replace it with a half-height Intel or DW1705 wifi+bluetooth half-height card?

In this new configuration, the WWAN and TV tuner slots will be untouched. What do you think?

November 2nd, 2015 13:00

The screenshot was missing, here is the text from the manual

Your computer supports one full Mini-Card slot and two half Mini-Card slots:

• One full Mini-Card slot — Mobile broadband or Wireless Wide Area Network (WWAN)
  • One half Mini-Card slot — Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN), or Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access (WiMax)
  • One half Mini-Card slot — TV tuner module

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 14:00

If they are both half height you should be fine.

November 10th, 2015 04:00

Philip, I bought the DW1705 card from ebay and it fits. The wifi and bluetooth drivers were installed by windows automatically, the wifi worked perfectly. But the bluetooth was never able to find a device through (System tray bluetooth icon > Add Device).

I upgraded the drivers with the help of your comments on this post.
The device manager now identifies the bluetooth radio as "Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth" (Driver version 8.0.1.340) and the wifi as "Dell Wireless 1705 802..." (Driver version 10.0.0.309). I found the drivers here. Also tried many other drivers before this one but NONE could find a bluetooth device. The wifi works great though. Any thoughts? Are the drivers wrong or there is something silly blocking the bluetooth from discovering devices?

Oh... and I am running it on Dell Studio 1749, Windows 7 64-bit.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 10th, 2015 23:00

Normally I would say tap [Fn] and [F2] to turn BT on/off but given you have a 2 in 1 card now. Not sure how your system will respond, what do you see in the Device Manager?

November 20th, 2015 08:00

Sorry for late reply, got busy with work

I tested my DW1705 card by putting it in my Dell XPS 8500 motherboard running Windows 7 64 bit. And to my surprise it worked out of the box. Windows installed Generic Bluetooth radio and one other related driver and my card was able to add devices and send and receive files too. Next, I installed the specific drivers from Dell I mentioned before, and they all installed like a charm. (Extraction and then installing via Device manager was not needed). It installed new drivers and also some bluetooth software and everything from file sharing to audio output worked.

So I know that the card isn't faulty, the drivers are right and they should work on Windows 7 64-bit atleast.

I installed the card back into my Studio 1749, and the bluetooth still doesn't work (cannot find devices). Any more ideas?

The one difference between my Studio1749 and XPS8500 is that the latter has ALL windows updates always installed.

November 24th, 2015 23:00

Still no success, Philip

Tapping Fn+F2 turns the wifi on and off, does not affect the bluetooth icon in the system tray. This is what my device manager looks like

Any utilities out there that can help me troubleshoot my bluetooth device in a stepwise manner? like detect if it is broadcasting, active etc.?

February 11th, 2016 19:00

Finally, when I upgraded to Windows 10, the DW1705 card worked on my Studio 1749. Both wifi and bluetooth work like a charm... windows installed drivers automatically and they worked. For the bluetooth the driver date is 28-Jul-15 and version is 10.0.1.1. Hope this helps others.

No Events found!