Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 20th, 2016 13:00

Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Slow Internet Speeds

Both of my PCs did an automatic download and update to Windows 10 anniversary over a month ago, and have done a couple of more updates since then. Internet speeds have slowed from 30 to 60 Mbps (typical) to 5 to 12 Mbps since the updates. I did driver updates for my 802.11 b/g/n Dell adapters - no change. Same problem on any browser I try. Speeds on my iPhone are still around 30 to 60 Mbps so I know my ISP modem/router is fine. Then my laptop finally did its first and lengthy Windows 10 anniversary update this morning. I tested the speeds right away and they were in the usual 30 to 60 Mbps range. The laptop has a 802.11 ac adapter card. So the problem seems to be between Windows 10 anniversary version 1607 and my "older" 802.11 b/g/n network adapter cards. Other than replacing my PC network adapter cards... any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

October 21st, 2016 10:00

Hi farero, 

On your system that has the slow download speed after the updates have you checked/changed the bandwidth on the card already? 

I am not sure what model of Dell wireless card you currently have but you would want to check the bandwidth is set to Auto 20/40 and not just 20 mhz. You would need to open Device Manager, then click to expand network adapters, and then right click on the card and left click on the properties. Once the window loads up you would then need to click on the advanced tab. Here is an example/explanation of the change being made by a poster on the tenforums with a picture attached. 

Let me know if this helps, and if it doesn't please give me the model number of the card and what driver version you are currently using.

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

October 21st, 2016 16:00

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I followed the steps but the Advanced window on the Properties does not include a property called "Bandwidth" as shown in the example. The card is a Dell Wireless 1705 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz).  The driver has been updated and is from Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc., # 3.0.2.201 dated 2/27/16.

Regards,

Henry

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 08:00

3 Posts

October 24th, 2016 21:00

NATAKUC4 - this driver did not have any impact on internet speed. It also did not give me a choice of frequencies.

NATAKUC4 or Brad - any further ideas? New network adapter?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 08:00

Hi Henry,

I apologize for the delay in response, but I have been out of the office. Were you still having trouble with the adapter? If so, under Device Manager can you tell me what wireless adapter is now showing (after the driver installs)? Also, go ahead and Private Message me you Service Tag (please do not post this in the thread).

Best regards,

Brad

1 Message

March 12th, 2017 05:00

I know how you feel my friend, because I asked this very question myself :)

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

The thing is with the new Windows 10, there are quite a lot of new features and changes which takes up more of your internet, which then results in your internet being slow.

There are a few simple tweaks you can make to fix your slow internet on Windows 10 and I’ll show you step-by-step on how you can do that within a few seconds.

This is for you, the full exclusive guide

10 S***-Easy Ways to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10 (+Screenshots)

As promised here’s how you can fix your slow internet on your Windows 10 :)

If you need screenshots to help you guide through the process and do it in just a few seconds, grab your free full exclusive guide. :)

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your Computer

I actually did this when I first got my laptop which came with Windows 10, and let me say it did have a great effect on my internet speed.

Step 1:  To start off, Click Start and then go ahead type Settings to open it.

Step 2:  Next select Update and Security

Step 3:  Now click on Advanced Options

Step 4:  You’re almost there! Click on Choose How Updates are Delivered.

Step 5:  Finally, go ahead and turn off the On button.

Now you no longer need to send your own precious internet for complete strangers around you.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

2. Quit your background apps

There’s two parts to do this.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Find out which of your apps take up most of your Internet

Here’s how you can see which of your apps take up most of the internet and how to turn it off.

Step 1: Start off by right-clicking the Windows Taskbar. Open Task Manager. (You can also search on your computer or ask cortana on Windows 10)

Step 2: Once you’re in your Task Manager’s menu, click on the Performance tab.

Step 3: Now click on Open Resource Monitor from the bottom part of the window.

Step 4: Lastly, click on the Network tab and check for all your apps or services that have a high number of send and receive requests.

The way it works is, the higher the number, then it shows that these apps or services are taking a chunk of your internet bandwidth.

Quitting your Apps

Since now you have an idea or sort of which of the apps or services that takes up most of your internet, you can now get onto disabling them.

Here’s how you can do that in just two little steps.

Step 1: Click on Start and then select your Settings.

Step 2: Next click on Privacy, and then Background apps. Here’s where you can turn Off for the apps and services that feed off your internet.

3. Adjusting your Internet Bandwidth settings

Your Windows actually keeps away 20 percent of your Internet bandwidth just for its OS and other system-related ‘stuff’.

What does this mean?

Well, since you only have the remaining 80 percent for you to use, you can actually get back that 20 percent for you to use.

Here’s how you can do that in just six simple steps.

Step 1:  Go ahead and get the Run window up by clicking on Windows key+R key on your keyboard. (You can also search for it on your computer)

Step 2:  Type gpedit.msc in the search box and then press OK.

Step 3:  Alright! Now you will find that the Group Policy window will come up, so what you have to do here is just click on Computer Configuration

Step 4:  Next go to Administrative Templates, then Network, and lastly QoS Packet Scheduler. Once you’re here click on Limit reservable bandwidth

Step 5:  Now in the new window that comes up, all you have to do is just two things. First choose Enabled and then change the Bandwidth limit (%) to 100.

Step 6:  Make sure that you Apply these new changes that you just made and then click on OK.

That’s it! :)

Read more at Saint

No Events found!