Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 WiGig - Dell 1601 wireless card and D5000 wireless dock

I have an E7440 with the Dell 1601 wireless card with WiGig ability. I connect to a Dell D5000 wireless docking station.  I tried to upgrade my machine to Windows 10, but found after I did so that my wireless dock would not work. It turns out that for some reason the Windows 10 drivers released by Dell for the 1601 wireless card does not include anything about WiGig. The Windows 8 drivers have not worked in the Windows 10 environment either.

Any ideas on how to make this work? It appears Windows 10 has built in WiGig as a feature, but it doesn't recognize that my machine can do WiGig, due to a lack of a driver that supports it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

September 9th, 2015 07:00

Any update on this or should I still be holding off on the upgrade to Win10?

9 Posts

September 9th, 2015 10:00

As many of you have found, this DOES NOT work.

Here is a forum I started on Spiceworks (August 4th) - https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1106251-dell-precision-m4800-wigig-on-windows-10

got this directly from Dell August 27th ---

Thank you for reaching out to Dell's Hardware Warranty support. We do not yet have a WiGig application listed for windows 10. You may try the windows 8.1 driver and application to see if this will work for you but until we release a specific windows 10 version of the application any support is best effort. I have provided links to both driver and application below.

Application Windows 8.1

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02157857M/1/Network_Application_9D41C_WN_1.8.5.1280_A03.EXE

Driver Windows 8.1

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01854750M/1/Network_Driver_DPGKX_WN_10.0.0.268_A01.EXE

Craig M. 705610

Client Technical Support Senior

Dell Federal Hardware Support

Dell Client Pro Support 

September 11th, 2015 06:00

does not work for me... no effect..... Wilocity monitor does not reply.

9 Posts

September 11th, 2015 06:00

I too did the Wilocity debugging monitor. It reported that all was good. At this point it appears that the ball really is in Dell's hands to make an updated application to connect all the dots.

It would only make sense for them to continue this product as they are installing it in a variety of systems as a "wave of the future" product.

September 11th, 2015 15:00

I am very disappointed with the slow Dell response time about this problem ..... I am unable to run Windows 10 with this major malfunction.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2015 19:00

They even remove the D5000 from the store and the dell precision m6800 customization  page , also Wilocity is gone acquired by qualcomm and i checked their site in hope of they release any update to their chips , nothing .  so i think is a bad decision i chose to install qualcomm card and buying D5000 .:emotion-6:

9 Posts

September 14th, 2015 10:00

Dell still offers the 1601 Wigig card as an option  as of 11:50 (noonish ET) today for M4800 and M6800. It has NOT been removed.

This link however does have me concerned - http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/SLN298676/EN

9 Posts

September 14th, 2015 10:00

This tells me the new Wigig doc is not backward compatible...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN296966/EN

What the heck Dell. So we are left high and dry?

Can we have our systems retro fit by a Dell tech expert? Maybe a trade in program could be organized

9 Posts

September 16th, 2015 05:00

The Qualcomm/Wilocity acquisition was completed in July of 2014. If this article has anything to say about  Wigig and how Qualcomm feels I think the answer may be coming soon. Dell may however just wrap the drivers and application in with the standard Aetheros (sp) driver/software pack. I would LOVE it if they would allow it to use Windows 10's new "Connect" button.

http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/thewire/wigig-poised-for-growth-with-qualcomm-and-wilocity/

3 Posts

September 18th, 2015 08:00

Dell have 2 choice to fix this problem

1- force Qualcomm to release a new updated driver for the WiGig chip working on windows 10 in  my laptop that i spend 6000 $ to buy it from dell .

OR

2- change the wireless card from Qualcomm to Intel and replace D5000 with WLD15 .

I prefer the solution number 1 . ASAP

so Dell Release updated driver work on windows  10

2 Posts

October 12th, 2015 14:00

I have the same problem. I've tried several options, and the dock won't work with windows 10. I have a latitude e7240, and dell says it's windows 10 certified. I guess that only applies to parts of the notebook. I hoped dell would offer better support. This is a business model computer that includes better warranty and support that the consumer class products.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2015 07:00

Still nothing.  Thanks Dell.  What a useless piece of equipment. 

Thinking of buying a Surface Pro.

9 Posts

November 5th, 2015 09:00

I have been checking the Dell downloads page daily for anything that will wake up the 1601 Wigig card. So far nothing. Has anyone had any luck getting things to work or any new movement from Dell? 

Things I want for X-mas (or Thanksgiving)

1. Drivers and software for Wigig on Windows 10 64bit
  2. Factory replacement for the existing Wilocity version customers to an Intel based version that is supposedly working on Windows 10.
  3. Red Rider BB Gun.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 17:00

This is really quite disappointing.  I spent a substantial amount of money to get the latest and greatest and got everything working with the D5000 only to lose everything that made this setup unique as soon as we switched to windows 10.  If I wanted to use a standard dock I would have bought something else.  The fact that Dell is not providing any compensation really shakes my confidence in the brand.  Just for the record my company was going to standardize on this build for all our employees but after this we may drop dell together.

8 Posts

December 19th, 2015 16:00

Hello,

I made some research and what I've found is that Dell 1601 network card and D5000 Dock are based on Wilocity WiGig chipset, which recently was bought by Qualcom and I supose that could be a reason of retiring a support for this model.

Dell now ships their Ltitudes with new version of Wigig network card - 17265 which is based on Intel WiGig's architecture, i know that because I've got from work a new Latidude e7450 with above netowrk card.

Before I found this information I bought a D5000 dock and it turned out that it is incompatible with new card based on Intel's technology.

So a little advice - maybe you should search for WiGig drivers from Wilocity?

I found only that:

www.driverscape.com/.../wilocity-6120-gigabit-wireless-network-adapter

and that:

wilocity.com/.../software

Maybe this will help you, unfortunatelly I have to buy a new WiGig dock which is 2 time more expensive than D5000 on my market.

And if this won't work for you - you probably should consider replacing your WiGig card and dock.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for all!

Best regards.

Bartek

No Events found!