Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 WiGig - Dell 1601 wireless card and D5000 wireless dock

I have an E7440 with the Dell 1601 wireless card with WiGig ability. I connect to a Dell D5000 wireless docking station.  I tried to upgrade my machine to Windows 10, but found after I did so that my wireless dock would not work. It turns out that for some reason the Windows 10 drivers released by Dell for the 1601 wireless card does not include anything about WiGig. The Windows 8 drivers have not worked in the Windows 10 environment either.

Any ideas on how to make this work? It appears Windows 10 has built in WiGig as a feature, but it doesn't recognize that my machine can do WiGig, due to a lack of a driver that supports it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

December 21st, 2015 09:00

So if the old Wilocity WiGig card is not going to be supported, how do I find out if the new Intel one is compatible with my laptop?

My Dell 6430u does not have a dock port, so that's not an option, and it doesn't have USB 3, so that's not an option either. The only docking mechanism that supports multiple monitors, etc. is a wigig option, but if I can't upgrade to the new card (and it's not listed as a part option on Dell's site) then my less than 3 year old laptop from Dell can't be upgraded to Windows 10 if I need to dock (and I do).

Very frustrating that this laptop is a dead end.

130 Posts

January 18th, 2016 02:00

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

This package provides the driver for the Dell Wireless 1802/1707/1601/1506 WiFi/Bluetooth and is supported on the Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: Windows 10 32/64-bit.

Anyone had a change to test if it's working ?

2 Posts

January 19th, 2016 06:00

I'm in the same boat. I was really looking forward to Windows 10 as it been great on my other machines. I depend on the W1601 D5000 solution for adding a second monitor to my XPS 18. From what I can see the Intel solution is an M.2 card not a mini pci so swapping the whole dock/card combo is not going to work. I'll have to stay with 8.1 and hope for some kind of solution in the future. 

3 Posts

April 19th, 2016 09:00

I have an enterprise level system and Dell won't support it. 

I've had good luck in the past with some Dell folks reading these forums and actually offering help in resolving issues, but clearly they are ignoring this issue for a reason. The D5000 is a dead technology despite the fact that it wasn't that long ago that Dell was still selling it. It is saddening that Dell has abandoned us, but not surprising. Our company purchases a lot of Dell equipment and the quality control and service has dropped tremendously in the last few years.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 5th, 2016 16:00

Dear Community,

Thank you for bringing this up and discussing. 

I can confirm for you that: There will be no Windows 10 1601 WIGIG driver for D5000 released.

However, I've received a regedit and tested it myself.

Testing done on Latitude E7440:

-Out of box, my test E7440 had Windows 8.1 with all WIGIG requirements installed and working.

-Upgraded the unit to Windows 10 through Windows update

-Installed the Windows 8.1 version of the Dell Wireless 1601 WiGig Application into my newly upgraded Windows 10 OS. ( Works for E7440, M4800 as well as other models )

-Installed latest version of DisplayLink driver for Win10

Warning: Before you edit the regsitry, backup your data and gather all Windows re installation requirements in case any problems result.

A. Open Windows Registry Editor by typing: “regedit” in the Start menu and pressing enter

B. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1AE9&DEV_0101&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_0?\????????????\Device Parameters or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1AE9&DEV_0101&SUBSYS_00001AE9&REV_0?\????????????\Device Parameters
Note:
i. The Question marks means that you should just open the first and only sub key in there, whatever it is. It looks like “4&232ce1b2&0&00E3”. (The value is system dependent.)
ii. If you can find the both key path, please modify both and follow up step c to f.

C. Add new sub-key Under “Device Parameters”:
i. Right click “Device Parameters” key
ii. From the context menu select New-> Key.
iii. Paste “e5b3b5ac-9725-4f78-963f-03dfb1d828c7” instead of “New Key #1” name of the newly created item.

D. Add new DWORD value under the newly added sub-key:
i. Right click “e5b3b5ac-9725-4f78-963f-03dfb1d828c7” key
ii. From the context menu select New-> DWORD (32-bit) value .
iii. Paste “EnableAllBridgeInterrupts” instead of “New Value #1” name of the newly created item.
iv. Double click EnableAllBridgeInterrupts item.
v. In the popup “Edit DWORD (32-bit) value” window type 1 instead of 0 in the “Value data:” field.
vi. Press Ok.

E. Close Registry Editor.
F. Reboot PC.

The above is the work around I obtained. Below is what actually happened when I tested it myself:

At first, I added: e5b3b5ac-9725-4f78-963f-03dfb1d828c7

to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1AE9&DEV_0200&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\5&29c1c49c&0&0000E3\Device Parameters\

Added the EnableAllBridgeInterrupts 32 bit dword value and set to 1. I rebooted and the wigig still did not enable.

I added: e5b3b5ac-9725-4f78-963f-03dfb1d828c7

to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1AE9&DEV_0101&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\4&232ce1b2&0&00E3\Device Parameters

I added the EnableAllBridgeInterrupts dword value and set to 1 and rebooted. The system enabled the wigig and I was able to connect to the D5000 dock with no problem.

I plugged in a thumb drive to the D5000. System and dock detected the thumb drive and I was able to pass data back and forth between system and thumb drive.

That is the extent of my testing. Please note that this solution was offered at Dell's best effort. You can try it at your own risk.

9 Posts

May 11th, 2016 06:00

This is spectacular. I have been seeking out a solution for some time now as you know Justin.

1. It works PERFECTLY!!!
  2. The only difference with my system is for some reason I have 4 references to VEN_1AE9&DEVXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX which I was required to add the new keys to. 

Thanks for finding this solution. I wonder if there is a way to make a registry file to inject this code? Anyone? I am archiving this instruction set so if I ever need to re-do my system. 

- Drew

3 Posts

May 12th, 2016 11:00

I can confirm this also worked for me. Thank you so much for posting it. I do want to add that after I upgraded to Windows 10 and did the registry edits it still didn't work. I found that I had to update the wifi drivers to the Win10 drivers on Dell's site and then everything worked great.

And if a registry edit could fix this, there is zero reason that Dell couldn't push out proper drivers.

At least its working.

July 27th, 2016 13:00

I can confirm this works on a Latitude 6430u running Win10Pro!

I had three references to VEN_1AE9 after updating to Win10, and one had 2 sub-keys under it. I added steps C&D to all 4 instances.

Any idea if this fix will stick after the Anniversary update?

~Meg

1 Message

July 28th, 2016 13:00

Many thanks guys. It works greate for me. People from DELL be ashamed.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2016 02:00

Thanks so much. It also worked like a champ for me on an XPS 18 and D5000 setup.  Gave this machine a new lease on life.

August 2nd, 2016 09:00

I can confirm this works on a Latitude 6430u! I've had it working for about a week now. The only problem I find is I have to reconnect the dock if the computer goes to sleep.

13 Posts

September 30th, 2017 01:00

Good info thanks.

On a 64bit system do I need to add "EnableAllBridgeInterrupts" to QWORD (64-bit) instead of DWORD (32-bit)?

Thanks

November 25th, 2017 09:00

I have had weeks of pain with all this

I even tried getting a mpcie to ngff adapter to install a intel 18260 tri card,  but the wigig side of things never get seen by dell, bios or device manager, only the bt + wifi get found *(and work)

But i have a dell m4800 machine, love it so strong and robust, but this whole wigig scenario does my head in

i followed the support about enable all bridge interupts, which yes indeed does work

but has anyone actually noticed even tho the hub connect software says 3800+ mbs the actuall file transfer of a usb 3 device that can do 250mbs+ read and write is true if its connected to the laptop, but if its connected to the d5000 its only showing 30mbs

also, the main issue for me is the display link, the extended or duplicate monitor on hdmi or displayport

it just does not work like it did on windows 8.1,

windows 8.1 was so smooth

but in windows 10 it flickers still images of the current duplicated laptop screen, and causes the laptop to usb bing the disconnect/connected noises ever 3 or 4 seconds

totally unstable

and to say the costs ive spent on then buying a wld15 to find out its not compatable with dell1601 then buying a mpcie to ngff adaptor, then the intel 18260 card and antenna and adaptor anttenna (as the dell 1601 clearly has a one off size wigig connector pin, which is not industry standard like those found on ngff wifi/bt m.2 cards

such a pain in the ar00

1 Message

May 28th, 2021 01:00

Hello,
I know I'm late to the conversation but just to certify that the trick worked perfectly for me on a Dell 6430u with Windows 10 Home. 

It really has given a new life to my laptop as long as the wired docking was driving me cracy because of some well-known issues with the AC adapter. Many thanks to you all for the information, really helpful!

DGÁ.-

No Events found!