Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2009 05:00

Windows 7 - Inspiron 530s network card performance issue

I've recently installed windows 7 64bit Home Premium onto my Inspiron 530s.  A fresh install into a new hard drive.  Over the last few days I've had intermittent problems with the wireless and Ethernet cards with very slow performance from either card.  I've installed the latest BIOS from Dell and attempted to download and install the Vista 64 drivers.  On installing the Vista 64 drivers the installation failed because it said I didn't have an Intel network card installed.  Luckily enough I still have Vista installed and the network and wireless cards work just fine.

Unfortunately Dell haven't provided any Windows & drivers so I guess its early days for a fix.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how they fixed it.  According to the devices list I have  Intel (r) 82562V-2 10/100 & Broadcom 802.11g (wireless) network adaptor.

All help much appreciated, I've spent the last 3 days trying to fix this and having to switch back and forth between Vista and Win7 is doing my head in.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2009 07:00

Well I actually managed to fix the problem so I thought I'd share it in case others out there had something similar.  Apologies to those reading for the step by step instructions.

The Latest Broadcom driver from Microsoft via windows update fixed my wireless problem. No surpirses there.

The wired network card is fixed by the following, (step by step instructions given in case a newbie techie reads this):

• First download the drivers from Intel (>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17910&lang=eng) Though these are generic drivers they worked just fine for me. NB: If you have a different card find the one you need and follow the below).
  • Run the installation, this shouldn't require a restart
  • Once installed go to Control panel > View Network Status and Tasks and choose “change adaptor settings” on the left side of the window.
  • Click your network connection and then right mouse click and choose properties. From the new window displayed (labelled Local Area Connection Properties) choose “Configure”.
  • A new window will popup and you'll see a number of tabs displayed, these are extra settings the Intel drivers provided you with that Dell didn't.
  • Choose the "Link Speed" tab. You will see that speed and duplex is set to "Auto Negotiation". Click the drop down box and choose "100 Mbps Full Duplex". The device/card will re-start and the performance problem should go away.

I've no idea why this should be a problem as auto negotiate should just pick the right settings itself. No doubt in a few weeks or so there will be an updated driver via Microsoft update or Dell but for now at least the problem is fixed.

50 Posts

October 25th, 2009 10:00

Hello!

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 (not S) and I also have a major issue with the Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection since I installed Windows 7 (Ultimate, 32-bit).

It took me quite a while to understand the problem but I can now reproduce it easily:

After a reboot, everything is fine until I put the computer to sleep.

When I resume the Intel 82562V2 generates interrupts like crazy. There is a setting to enable interrupt moderation which is enabled by default and set to adaptive moderation. It seems to work because if I disable it then the cpu usage climbs to 99% right away (both cores are running at full speed). But even when set to extreme moderation it pretty much use a full core to to deal with the interrupts (same as when set to adaptive moderation).

Task Manager shows that the System (PID 4) process is using some cpu. Resource Monitor shows that a lot of time is spent in System Interrupts - Deferred Procedure Calls and Interrupt Service Routines.

I updated the BIOS of the computer and installed the latest driver from Intel but that does not help.

I sent a message to Dell support by I still don't have any reply.

Could you confirm you have exactly the same issue? If so can you also try to get in touch with Dell Support? Thanks.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2009 12:00

I have't experienced that problem myself, and when I tried to reproduce it I couldn't.  

Sorry.

50 Posts

October 25th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for trying to reproduce the issue. So when you come out of sleep your cpu stays at 0% when idle?

May I ask what version of the driver you are using?

Thanks.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2009 13:00

Yes, CPU level stays idle.

Version 9.13.16.0 from Intel dated  01/09/2009, the standard generic driver/package for the network card.  The only thing I have changed is the duplex setting and the power setting is set to "reduce link speed  during standby". 

50 Posts

October 25th, 2009 18:00

OK. Thanks

I tried playing with the duplex setting and the reduce link speed during standby but that does not seem to help in my case.

Is your network card also using IRQ -2 (minus two)? That surprised me at first but it seems that this just mean that Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) is being used.

Also, do you have an integrated video card? I have an ATI Radeon 2600 and I wonder if that could create a conflict as it also uses MSI.

Thanks again for your time.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2009 15:00

My network card is using IRQ -3 (minus three).  I don't have an integrated video card instead a seperate ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro.  I've downloaded the latest drivers for the card as well. 

Best I can suggest is you ensure you've downloaded all the latest drivers for your various components from the manufacturers websites and don't trust those from Dell or Windows update.

50 Posts

October 26th, 2009 19:00

Hi

It looks like we have fairly similar configuration. I upgraded the driver for the ATI video card and the Realtek integrated sounds card but the problem is still here.

Did you also upgrade the driver for the chipset or some other system device? If so which device and with which driver?

Thank you!

No Events found!