Oldblade
1 Nickel

Windows 7 e-mail

I have just purchased an Inspirion 580 to replace my 8 year  old Dimension 8200. I can not locate e-mail software. Dell will not help me with this unless I pay more $$$. I am getting some instructions about something callde "windows live", but I can't get that to work either.  Have I just bought a computer that does not do e-mail? This is the message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Scarknives (Rick) account. Windows Live Mail couldn't log on to the e-mail server using secure password authentication. Contact your e-mail provider and verify that it supports secure password authentication. To change this logon setting, in the folder list, right-click on the account name, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. In the Properties dialog, click the Servers tab, and then under Incoming Mail Server, select a logon option.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR An authentication mechanism MUST be entered

Server: 'pop.fuse.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC18

Protocol: POP3

Port: 110

Secure(SSL): No

My provider tells me that I have this secure password authentication, and the box indicated in the message is checked.  I am just a user, not a tech. Can anyone help? Is this a quick fix? Thanks so much

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Windows 7 e-mail

Oldblade,

Without mposdting your email address, can you tell me the last past of your email address, like aol.com, hotmail.com, comcast.net, etc...

I found THIS ARTICLE but it's not really clear. I was hoping that if I knew your Internet Service Provider, I could fine the proper settings for you. I think it is a setting issue. It could have to do with your virus program, also, if you could provide that.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos