Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 09:00

Windows 7 not compatible with cable modem = no internet

We just purchased a Dell Inspiron 537 desktop with Windows 7.   We cannot connect to the internet with the Motorola cable modem.  We have contacted our internet company but they were not able to help us.  Motorola does not help individuals.  Dell technical support was good but told me that I have to go to the pay for technical support for software.  I was in queue yesterday, next in line, for 3 hours yesterday before I finally had to disconnect.  I am not able to connect by ethernet - was using the USB port to connect to XP before this.

Should I be able to connect to the wifi router directly with an ethernet cable?  I can't figure out if the new computer is setup to receive a wifi signal.  How do I determine that?  If not, is there some time of an adapter or does anyone have any suggestions?

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 10:00

Hello,

Your issue should have nothing to do with Windows 7.

You 'should' be able to connect a cable from your modem straight to your system and connect. I suggest that once you connect your modem, power cycle the modem, and then restart your system.

edited because of old age ...:emotion-52:

7.9K Posts

Thereal, he was connecting to the modem over USB, which often does require additional drivers.

To the original poster, connect with an ethernet cable.  It should work fine.  As noted above, you should power-cycle your modem.

3.4K Posts

Thereal, he was connecting to the modem over USB, which often does require additional drivers.

[edit]

Old eyes, old in general ...

I failed to notice the OP listed bought with Windows 7. :emotion-52:

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 11:00

I don't know why, but I am not able to connect by ethernet - that is why I was connecting by USB.  When I plug the ethernet cable into the computer from the cable modem or from the wifi router nothing happens.  Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks!

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 11:00

If you supply the maker and model number, someone might be able to help.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

It's not clear how you are connecting the modem, router and computer. It works like this--The Internet provider's signal cable connects to the modem, the modem is connected to the modem port on the router with ethernet cable and the computer connects to the router either with ethernet cable (best) or wirelessly. Then you have to power the network in the same order. Unplug power from modem and router and turn off the computer. First plug in the modem, wait 2 minutes, plug in the router and wait again, then turn on the computer. Motorola has no support connection to you. It's your Internet Provider that sets up your connection and provides support. They should have a web support site that would guide you. Open the Network and Sharing Center on the new computer and setup Network Discovery and File Sharing as well as other selections. You will not be able to connect until you make the right choices there. Use the modem's ethernet connection instead of usb. That will work much better. The modem is NOT connected to the computer. It connects to the router that acts as a splitter for the network. That might be your problem.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

The maker of the cable modem is Motorola, #SB5100.  We contacted them for assistance because their website does not list W7 yet, but they replied that they only assist businesses, not individuals.  How is that for customer service?  We contacted our internet provider about the ethernet cable and they say they don't service that.  I'm really frustrated.  I wish I knew more about all this stuff.

Thank you for your help!

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 07:00

The reason I thought it was Windows 7 is because the borrowed laptop that I am using right now is able to connect to my cable modem with the usb port and it has Vista.  I heard so many bad things about Vista so I got the new desktop with W7.  W7 doesn't seem to let you use the usb port connection - only ethernet.  Is that right?  I am so incredibly frustrated.  I can't troubleshoot on the internet without an internet connection.   Any advice?

3.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 07:00

The maker of the cable modem is Motorola, #SB5100.   ... Clipped

You may already have this PDF user guide for the SB5100 but in case you don't here is the link.

This modem has no router built in. Do you have an external router?

If not, your connections using an ethernet cable would look something like this

Coax from wall ---------------Cable Modem-------------:emotion-36:

Back in the days that I used this setup, I remember that if I got a new computer I needed to call the cable company to report the MAC address of the new computer.

This could be all you need.  Call/tell them "New Computer"/give MAC address/Woohoo!

No Events found!