Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2009 06:00

Wired Internet Connection Problems - Brand New Hybrid

Hi, my WIRED Internet connection on my brand new Hybrid is extremely erratic - it works sometimes, at other times it does not connect at all, and sometimes it takes a really long time to load a page.  Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Reset the cable modem and tried the Internet connection - the problem persists

2. Connected another laptop via the Ethernet port and it is working fine - so I have ruled out the cable modem as the source of the problem

3. I started Vista in troubleshooting mode with networking enabled and the Internet connection works great - super responsive and absolutely no problems at all.  So I guess hardware issues can be ruled out.

4.  However when I re-boot in the "regualar" Vista mode - the problem recurs

I have connected the network cable from the modem directly to the computer (and bypassed the router to rule that out as a possible source of the problem.)

I would appreciate any help to fix this problem.

14.4K Posts

February 12th, 2009 06:00

What you have is a driver or other software issue if the system works in Safe mode and not in regular mode.
You might want to try reinstalling your adapter driver. Also you need to try looking at your firewall and antivirus settings.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.  Is there anything specific I should be looking for with my firewall settings?  Fortunately, I have not set up my Antivirus as yet - so one less thing to troubleshoot.

Thanks again.

14.4K Posts

February 12th, 2009 09:00

What firewall are you running

3 Posts

February 12th, 2009 10:00

Argh.. I should have mentioned that.  I'm running the (default) Windows firewall.  Thanks.

No Events found!