MS1000100101
1 Copper

Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

Hi there,

I got a Studio 1535 Laptop which comes with a Broadcom WiFi card that is named "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card" in the Hardware Manager.

I tried to connect to my ZyXel WiFi router but though i had it all configured right, Windows would always come up with "you entered the wrong key". After playin around for some time i figured out that everything just works fine when i switched my router from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK. My router features both WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK but since my other PC does only support WPA-PSK the router is set to that and i want it to stay that way. I just don't want to buy new hardware for all my other computers.

So is this WiFi card strictly incompatible with WPA-PSK? Does'nt make any sense to me because WPA2 works just fine! Normally they are downwards compatible aren't they? (Moreover, when setting up a connection i can choose WPA-PSK from the dropdown menu. That should mean that it is available, right?) Is there anything i can do? Got the newest drivers, firewalls turned off.. anything else?

Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
27 Replies
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

Martin,

I usually use these settings in my wireless router. I have had a Netgear WGR614v6 and a Linksys WRT54GS and I always was able to caoonect anything I tried to connect. Please try these settings and see what happens.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

If you're using XP SP2, there is an update for to be able to use WPA2. The only reason I do NOT use WPA2 is bacause I have a 3300 wireless print adapter and it will NOT work with WPA2 Security. XP SP3 already has the capability to use WPA2 Security. Just a warning that NOT all wireless devices will work with WPA2 Security, so it's hit and miss.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

Re: Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

Well, if the card works with WPA2 then we know the hardware is working correctly.  That leaves software, or some kind of incompatibility.  Considering I've seen posts about this problem a number of times now, and nobody as seemed to find a fix for it, I would like to get that card over to our engineers if the suggestions from Rick don't fix things for you.

0 Kudos
glittle
1 Copper

Just confirming, I have a similar issue.  1397 card cannot talk to the router when the router is running in wpa-psk mode.  I don't get a "failed password" error though, I just get the red "X" (I think it may say "network unavailable" or something like that... I'm not home at the moment).

And yeah, I have the same issue with other computers on the network having non-wpa2 hardware as well, so switching to wpa2 isn't my favorite option.

0 Kudos
jasperbanff
1 Copper

I have the same issue with a new inspiration 1545 with a 1397 card.  Did you guys find a solution?

0 Kudos
lsands01
1 Copper

I am the same problem. But in my case neither way works at all. I am getting the same error saying I have the key wrong but it is right. My router is up to date on firmware, right drivers(I even reinstalled them). So nothing is working for me and I just got this thing yesterday. I have an Inspiron 1545.

0 Kudos
HeeelpMePlease
1 Copper

I have the same problem. And I tried to change the antenna diversity and I have the newest drivers, but it didn't work.

What I tried:

- test the wireless card with knoppix - didn't work
- changed diversity and drivers - didn't work
- tried with the dell connection manager and with windows tool - didn't work
- tried with static ips - didn't work
- tried to update the drivers with DriverMax - didn't work
- called DELL Support and they don't know this problem ?? But there are a lot of people here who have this kind of problem

Is there a newer driver from Broadcom for this card, because the driver from Dell doesn't work?

Help me/us please.

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

I had issues with the 1395 card under Ubuntu on a Latitude D531 and it worked when switched to wpa/psk when the router was set to wpa2/psk with tkip, go figure. All the other units I've connected to this AP connected wpa2/psk just fine, I'm not sure these cards are all following the standard. It may be the fallback part of the firmware is not correct but I'd have to defer to the engineers and trust that they can find out why these newer cards are so hit and miss. In the access points it's easy to determine the issues but not so in the windows or dell wireless utilities.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
hgvrgt16
1 Copper

Sorry when i post in this "old" thread.

Same problem, new Inspiron Mini 10 with 1397 WLAN Card.

When i try to go to internet, my system shows "no or minimum connectvity" and i can´t reach the net.

I have SSID visible, and the key is a WPA-PSK Tkip.  Everything is set correct.

Router is a Arcor / Zyxsel ..don´t know the name at the moment but both router and 1397 can b/g mode.

2 other notebooks and 2 desktop pc can go to internet via WLAN connection.

When i try to use the router without a key, everything works fine.....

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

What service pack is loaded? For WPA/PSK-2(Personal) to work SP-3 is a requirement I'm pretty sure.

0 Kudos