Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2009 06:00

Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

Hi there,

I got a Studio 1535 Laptop which comes with a Broadcom WiFi card that is named "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card" in the Hardware Manager.

I tried to connect to my ZyXel WiFi router but though i had it all configured right, Windows would always come up with "you entered the wrong key". After playin around for some time i figured out that everything just works fine when i switched my router from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK. My router features both WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK but since my other PC does only support WPA-PSK the router is set to that and i want it to stay that way. I just don't want to buy new hardware for all my other computers.

So is this WiFi card strictly incompatible with WPA-PSK? Does'nt make any sense to me because WPA2 works just fine! Normally they are downwards compatible aren't they? (Moreover, when setting up a connection i can choose WPA-PSK from the dropdown menu. That should mean that it is available, right?) Is there anything i can do? Got the newest drivers, firewalls turned off.. anything else?

Thanks, Martin

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 28th, 2009 14:00

Martin,

I usually use these settings in my wireless router. I have had a Netgear WGR614v6 and a Linksys WRT54GS and I always was able to caoonect anything I tried to connect. Please try these settings and see what happens.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

If you're using XP SP2, there is an update for to be able to use WPA2. The only reason I do NOT use WPA2 is bacause I have a 3300 wireless print adapter and it will NOT work with WPA2 Security. XP SP3 already has the capability to use WPA2 Security. Just a warning that NOT all wireless devices will work with WPA2 Security, so it's hit and miss.

Rick

1.7K Posts

March 2nd, 2009 15:00

Well, if the card works with WPA2 then we know the hardware is working correctly.  That leaves software, or some kind of incompatibility.  Considering I've seen posts about this problem a number of times now, and nobody as seemed to find a fix for it, I would like to get that card over to our engineers if the suggestions from Rick don't fix things for you.

5 Posts

March 30th, 2009 16:00

Just confirming, I have a similar issue.  1397 card cannot talk to the router when the router is running in wpa-psk mode.  I don't get a "failed password" error though, I just get the red "X" (I think it may say "network unavailable" or something like that... I'm not home at the moment).

And yeah, I have the same issue with other computers on the network having non-wpa2 hardware as well, so switching to wpa2 isn't my favorite option.

September 5th, 2009 10:00

I have the same issue with a new inspiration 1545 with a 1397 card.  Did you guys find a solution?

1 Message

September 17th, 2009 09:00

I am the same problem. But in my case neither way works at all. I am getting the same error saying I have the key wrong but it is right. My router is up to date on firmware, right drivers(I even reinstalled them). So nothing is working for me and I just got this thing yesterday. I have an Inspiron 1545.

October 20th, 2009 06:00

I had issues with the 1395 card under Ubuntu on a Latitude D531 and it worked when switched to wpa/psk when the router was set to wpa2/psk with tkip, go figure. All the other units I've connected to this AP connected wpa2/psk just fine, I'm not sure these cards are all following the standard. It may be the fallback part of the firmware is not correct but I'd have to defer to the engineers and trust that they can find out why these newer cards are so hit and miss. In the access points it's easy to determine the issues but not so in the windows or dell wireless utilities.

October 20th, 2009 06:00

I have the same problem. And I tried to change the antenna diversity and I have the newest drivers, but it didn't work.

What I tried:

- test the wireless card with knoppix - didn't work
- changed diversity and drivers - didn't work
- tried with the dell connection manager and with windows tool - didn't work
- tried with static ips - didn't work
- tried to update the drivers with DriverMax - didn't work
- called DELL Support and they don't know this problem ?? But there are a lot of people here who have this kind of problem

Is there a newer driver from Broadcom for this card, because the driver from Dell doesn't work?

Help me/us please.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 05:00

Sorry when i post in this "old" thread.

Same problem, new Inspiron Mini 10 with 1397 WLAN Card.

When i try to go to internet, my system shows "no or minimum connectvity" and i can´t reach the net.

I have SSID visible, and the key is a WPA-PSK Tkip.  Everything is set correct.

Router is a Arcor / Zyxsel ..don´t know the name at the moment but both router and 1397 can b/g mode.

2 other notebooks and 2 desktop pc can go to internet via WLAN connection.

When i try to use the router without a key, everything works fine.....

Any ideas ?

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 09:00

I do not have WPA-PSK2 - it´s the normal WPA-PSK -....isnt it ?

But i have all updates from Windows, SP3 is installed...

The hotline (DELL) told me to pull out the WLan Card, it´s to cheap.... !?!?!??!?! Hä ??? What ??? Why are they selling thouse things ?

Ok back, maybe a missunderstanding between the communication of router and wlan card ?

cheers Oliver

January 5th, 2010 09:00

What service pack is loaded? For WPA/PSK-2(Personal) to work SP-3 is a requirement I'm pretty sure.

January 5th, 2010 11:00

On the router does it list the wireless encryption methods as WEP, WPA, WPA-2-PSK and AES or something else? WEP and WPA(plain wep with longer key) are not recommended now as they are easy to decrypt.  The 1397 should support all of these but the Windows Wireless tool may not support them with your version of the driver. Try the Dell Wireless tool that is installed with the card and see if  WPA-PSK works that way. If the router and the card do not use the identical encryption scheme then no, it won't work and that's what it sounds like you're getting.  Mike

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

The router has

802.1x

WEP

WPA

WPA-PSK

WPA2

WPA-PSK

I use WPA-PSK TKIP - and it work with other PC and Notebooks very well. I live in a small village, don´t think that someone is comming to scan the 40 houses here for a free way to the internet ^^ .

But both way, tryed with windows network setup and also tryed with the dell network software. nothing, everytime when i put the key "on" there is no way. If it´s "off" than i can go to the internet.

Is it secure when i only use the mac-adress filter and no key ? i can put the mac-adresses in the router and maybe that will help so i can make the key "off".

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

It´s the

Arcor-Vodafone WLAN-Modem 200  also called   Zyxel Prestige 660HW-T7

January 5th, 2010 13:00

What model wireless router is it? This card does NOT support WPA that I can see, it has to be WPA2 so try WPA2-PSK and see if just this machine connects.

January 5th, 2010 13:00

Ok,

The router supports WPA2, if their are options under that select TKIP and try that with your 1397. IF it's a no go then I would use MAC filtering and the strongest WEP key you can manage out of it, possibly 128 bits. I would also firewall the wireless from the wired machines and only share wireless machine resources if you are more than 85 meters from any listening spot. The 1397 will probably call WPA WEP 128 bit instead of WPA. Let me know what shakes out.

No Events found!