Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2007 14:00

Wireless 1500 N working on G only no N

I have a E1705 with 1500 Draft 802.11 n working on a D link Dir 615 it will work on G but will not work on N need help 

3.6K Posts

November 30th, 2007 17:00

Is the third radio antenna connected on the wireless card?

3.6K Posts

November 30th, 2007 20:00

That is what i am talking about is the third radio antenna hooked up to the card

21 Posts

November 30th, 2007 20:00

The computer has an internal card.

21 Posts

November 30th, 2007 22:00

What 3rd ant.?

3.6K Posts

November 30th, 2007 22:00

If you have a wireless n mini card,it should have 3 radio antennas for a/b/g/n.One hooked to b,one to g,and the other should be on n.If you only have 2 wires connected to the wireless card it is probably b&g.

21 Posts

December 1st, 2007 00:00

The card is a dell wireless 1500 Draft 602.11n WLan mini card rev. 4.12. The Dell wireless utility program shows it.  And as far as 2 0r 3 wire the D link draft N only has 2 Ant.

3.6K Posts

December 1st, 2007 03:00

WonderingAloud:Thanks i thought i explained it well enough but i guess not.

December 1st, 2007 03:00

What he is referring to is this. If your lappy came with the draft N card installed from Dell then all three antenna connectors (black and white -2.4 Ghz, and the gray -5Ghz) should be connected. But maybe they aren't (specifically the gray one may not be connected and may be stashed in it's little slot with the plastic isolator shield still on it).

Most folks don't realize there is a third antenna connector for 5Ghz if they have a draft-n wireless card.

You may want to check the connectors on the card to make sure they are all connected.

I just installed a 4965AGN draft-n card in my D620 (pulled out the 1390) and the instruction sheet that came with the card SAYS NOTHING about connecting the third gray antenna lead, JUST the BLACK and WHITE ones (Note to Dell Service Engineering, suggest inserting an ADDENDUM sheet in with the instructions for draft-n WLAN card customer installs)

WA

21 Posts

December 1st, 2007 11:00

That explains it  But not all N cards or N routers have a third antenna. My D link only has 2 . My computer only has the black and white and their is no gray wire to be seen. The Bell wireless setup utility shows all 3 B G N as broadcasting and shows the card as a N card. I had spent time reading the D link forums and it seems over 40 percent of the people buying the D link Dir 615 have returned them because of problems so I am going to return this one and buy a different brand and see what happens. I may also have to call Dell and find out for sure if they put the right card in the lappy but everything points to it being right. It shows up in the hardware manager as a 1500 draft n , it also shows up in all the places i look as a draft n card. I hate to pay dell and set on the phone for hours waiting on them just to get someone who can,t speak good English tell me it is what I paid for.

December 1st, 2007 17:00

I had a look at the specs for the DIR 615 over at the Dlink site. Although it is a draft-n router it does only have two external antennas, but that doesn't mean anything really. The router may have some other way of addressing the 5Ghz band.

I do know that the router I intend to buy (the Dlink DIR 655) does use three antennas.

Again, viewing the "externals" sometimes can be misleading. As an example, my two Buffalo WHR-G54S routers both appear to have one antenna, while the truth is they have one external antenna and one internal one inside the case.

UPDATE- I just had a look at the the images for the Dell 1505 draft-n card and it does indeed have only two antenna connections. I must confess I didn't realize that this card was using the multiplexed method of adjusting the signal between the two antennas to achieve draft-n connectivity.

This adapter uses a Broadcom solution vs the Intel chipset that my 4965AGN has. I don't know the technical merits between adapters that have specific antennas that separate the 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz bands, but it would seem to me that having separate antennas would be a better solution.

In addition I have seen some links while Googling that indicate that there are certain draft-n routers that connect better with the 1500 than others. So I'd have a look around to see which one is going to offer the best connectivity for your specific card when buying your next router.

The draft-n spec means that there is no one best connectivity solution and when choosing a router, your mileage will definitily vary. I intend on testing the DIR 655 personally down at my local COMPUSA with my laptop to make sure it works in draft-n mode before parting with the cash.

WA

Message Edited by WonderingAloud on 12-01-2007 01:56 PM

21 Posts

December 1st, 2007 21:00

I now have a Linksys wrt300 it only wanted to work at 54Mbps so I gave up and called Dell they spent 2+ hours on setting up the N card in my laptop then made a few changes in the router it went from 54 up to 130 which still is not the speed I wanted but will call and talk to Linksys in the next few days.  

21 Posts

December 1st, 2007 22:00

FInally have it tweat to 270Mbps Thanks for the support

1 Message

October 30th, 2011 05:00

I have the same issue (only .g instead of .n connection). But I can't see the solution to get .n working.

Router:

D-Link DIR-615 (Ver: D3; F/W: 4.13DE)

PC:

Dell Studio 1745 (Windows 7 64bit) with Intel 5100AGN (s/w 14.2.0.10)

1 Message

November 19th, 2011 08:00

I'm not sure how you do this on Windows 7 and the intel card, but, look for similar parameters ...

Go to Network Connections, right-click your Wireless Network Connection, and left-click Properties.  Click Configure next to your wireless adapter.  Under advanced properties, look for something like "Bandwidth Capability", and select  "11a/b/g: 20/40MHz"

Then look for "Rate (802.11b/g)" and select "Best Rate"

Dell Support told it wouldn't work because I didn't have one of their 3 tested routers from when the 1500 Wireless Card was introduced in 2006.  All I had to do was change those two parameters and I got 270MB/sec immediately.

No Events found!