Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2013 16:00

Wireless 1506 WiFi Card

I just received a Latitude E7440, it came equipped with the Dell Wireless 1506 WiFi card.  I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  There is only one driver for this card when running Windows 7 64, it is the Dell Wireless 1506 WiFi Driver version 10.0.0.227, A01.  This "driver" not only loads the driver for the card, but also loads additional WiFi related applications.  The installation of this driver does not allow a "customized" installation option, it installs what it wants to install.  One of the applications it installs is called the Unified Wireless Application, which appears to be a Qualcomm application.

I am trying to find just the driver for this card, not all the other related software applications that Dell seems to think we need.  Does anyone know where I can download/install just the driver for this card?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 15th, 2013 03:00

dsmpurchase,

Make a system restore point.

Download the drivers for your wireless adapter from Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, select your operating system, under network download the drivers and save them to your desktop.

Start, control panel, device manager, network, right click on your adapter, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the software and drivers.

Restart your computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter. If the installation fails, then install the drivers saved to your desktop.

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

Rick

November 15th, 2013 12:00

ROCKST☆R-RICK K, thank you for the suggestion, here is what I did.

1) I installed the Dell Wireless 1506 WiFi Driver (10.0.0.227, A01) with all its associated software since there is no option to install only the driver.

2) I then uninstalled the Dell Wireless 1506 WiFi Driver via the Programs and Features option in the Control Panel (the driver shows up as the Dell Unified Wireless Suite)

3) I then went into the Device Manager and manually updated the driver by telling it to scan my computer for an appropriate driver.

It appears that I now have just the driver installed without all the extra software Dell thinks we should have installed on our systems.

Thank you Dell for your culture of forcing consumers to install software that you deem appropriate and not giving us a choice.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2013 16:00

just un-install the software

November 14th, 2013 19:00

Thanks but I already thought of that.  You can't uninstall the Unified Wireless Application, its bundled inside the Dell Unified Wireless Suite which contains the application AND the driver.  The Unified Wireless Application is not listed as a separate application in the Programs and Features control panel application.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2013 12:00

dsmpurchase,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

October 15th, 2014 16:00

Dell should package the drivers as simple driver packages, instead of bundling it with unreliable bloatware applications.

Or, at lease give the option of uninstalling them separately (as features within a common installer).

No Events found!