Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 18th, 2009 18:00

Wireless Card Preference

I'm plan on purchasing a Inspiron 15.  Trying to decide between wireless cards.  Any recommendations between:

• Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card
  • Dell Wireless 1515 802.11 Wireless-N Mini-card

The Intel is $15 more.  Am I buying more than the name on the card.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

107 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

Hmmm might be brand loyalty. I always try to buy Intel . All my  computers at home have Intel processors as apposed to AMD . AMD could be better, just grew up with Intel stuff. If it were me I would get the Intel. One note, we have some machines at work that have those cards. The Intel program that comes with them is  sort of in your face for some people, like some of our clients. Truth be told, I like the program myself. If you get the Intel card and you find the program for it a litle intrussive. Go to add remove programs, find the Inel program, click uninstall the repair or change, hmmm not sure now if it says uninstall or repair...well you know what I am talking about, so you select change, put an "X" next to everything but the driver, it will say driver. Then click continue, after reboot, go to network adapters in control panel, your wireless click properties then the wireless tab at the top, check the box to let windows configure your wireless. Also I would suppose if you wanted to use the card in another notebook or sell the card it would be much easier w/ the Intel card.... The Dell drivers may not install in another brand of notebook.

4.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

I don't know the difference between them spec/feature wise, but I doubt you'd notice any difference between them in use tbh?

However... although Dell should provide a drivers disc with the laptop... the OS is more likely to have drivers for an Intel product included with it, than a Dell branded product?

And you'd probably be able to get updated drivers for the Intel card - directly off the Intel website, so that's worth considering as well.

No Events found!