Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2013 08:00

Wireless Connection Issue | Latitude E6230

Hello -

I am having issues with Dell Latitude E6230 WIFI connection at home.  I am able to connect to it when I am at work. 

I can see my network with full strength as one of the available networks, but I can only connect to it when I am a feet away.  If I move 5 or 6 feet, it connection stays on between 15 to 1 hour then it will drop and the only way to connect to it again would be to place my computer 1 feet away.

My other devices, including a non Dell laptop, can connect to the network without any issues.

This issue started to happen about 1 month ago, prior to that the connection was fine.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken (without luck):

• Rebooted my router and changed the channel
  • Uninstalled and re-installed the latest driver
  • Rolled back to a windows state that was prior to the date of the issues

Equipment Details:

• Router: Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL
  • Wireless Adapter: Dell Wireless 1540 802.11a/g/n (2.4GHz/5GHz)

Any help or suggestion to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kenny

8 Posts

July 4th, 2013 11:00

Saharah -

My issue is now resolved.  I had my IT team open up the laptop and discovered one of the wireless card connection was loose.  It is working fine once it was put back into place.

Thanks for all your help.

Kenny

1.5K Posts

June 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi Kenny,

You may try changing the Wireless card settings and check if that makes any difference. Here are the steps:

• Open Device Manager.
  • Expand Network Adapters, right click the wireless card and choose Properties.
  • Make the following changes:

• Change Roam Tendency to Aggressive.
    • Change Roaming Decision to Optimize Distance.
    • Change Minimum Power Consumption to Disabled.

• Click the Power Management tab:

• Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• Open Power Options:

• Click Change plan settings for the selected power profile.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Under Wireless Adapter Settings, click Power Saving Mode and change the settings to Maximum Performance.

Also, you may refer to the link http://dell.to/ZB3Wdk for resolving connection issues on your Wi-Fi Network. Hope this helps.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

8 Posts

June 7th, 2013 09:00

Thanks Saharsh - I have these settings already in place and it doesn't seem to help.

Any other ideas?

1.5K Posts

June 7th, 2013 10:00

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please try and operate the system in Safe Mode with Networking and check if the issue is still there. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F8' key to enter the 'Windows Advanced Option Menu'.
  • Use the Arrow keys to select a Safe Mode with Networking option, and then press ENTER.
  • The system will boot to Safe Mode with Networking. Test the wireless connection.

Please reply with the results, will take it further from there.

8 Posts

June 7th, 2013 13:00

Saharsh - It looks like I am able to connect to the network in safe mode without being 1 feet away from my router.  What are my next steps?

1.5K Posts

June 8th, 2013 06:00

Hi Kenny,

It appears that the connection is stable in Safe Mode with Networking, I recommend that you disable the security software or firewall temporarily and try using the wireless connection. Check if it makes any difference. Please reply with the results.

8 Posts

June 8th, 2013 10:00

Saharsh - I will need to get back to you next week on this one.  I don't have administrator rights on laptop to disable Microsoft Forefront.  I'll need assistance from my IT team.

1.5K Posts

June 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi Kenny,

That is perfectly fine. Keep me posted with the results.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2013 18:00

Saharsh -

I have uninstalled Microsoft Forefront off my laptop, but I still can't connect.

I am actually trying to connect to a public WiFi network right now (at a hotel).  Interestingly, I am not able to connect to it either via safe mode.  My co-workers are able to connect to the WiFi network here and so are my other WiFi devices.

Any other ideas?

Kenny

1.5K Posts

June 11th, 2013 04:00

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please share exact description of error appearing when you are trying to connect to a public network. Also, is it not detecting the network at all or it is detecting it but not connecting to it.

Please reply with the information.

8 Posts

June 11th, 2013 06:00

Saharsh -

My laptop is detecting the network and I can see it has a strong signal (4 out of 5 bars).

I get the message saying I can unable to connect to the network.  When I tried to troubleshoot, it tells me I am not within range of the connection.

Let me know what else you need.

Thanks!

1.5K Posts

June 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi Kenny,

Please share if you are getting this error message while connecting to every network or just with the hotel wireless network. Also, please share if you get the same error message when connecting to your home network.

Please delete the existing network profiles and create a new one. Here are the steps:

• Click Start->Control Panel, Select Network and Internet, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

• In the task list, please choose Manage wireless networks.

• In the Network table, please select the existing profiles and click Remove.

• You may see a warning dialog box, just click OK.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

8 Posts

June 14th, 2013 10:00

Saharsh -

I receive the "not able to connect" message when I try to connect  to any public WiFi.  I tried it at the hotel and the airport but I was able to connect via my phone with no problems.

I am at home now and with my Microsoft Forefront disabled, I am still unable to connect to the wireless unless I am close to the router and my connect drops if I move 10 feet away.

I also tried your suggested steps in the above for my home network but the result is the same.

Any other thoughts?

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi Kenny,

It appears to be an issue with the Wireless Card. To isolate the issue further please try the below mentioned steps:

• Updating the BIOS:

• Click on the below link: http://dell.to/156THtK
    • Click on 'Download Now'.
    • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
    • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'.
    • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Please try and connect to any unsecured wireless network and check if it works.
  • If you're comfortable opening the system, please try removing and reseating the wireless card. You may refer to the Owner's Manual for the instructions.

If the issue still persist, I would recommend that you restore the system back to factory settings and check functionality. Although, it would not make much of a difference, but its worth giving a shot. Please backup the data before doing that as it will lead to data loss. You refer to the link http://dell.to/1bHqmtN for instructions. Else, wireless card might need replacement.

Please reply with the findings.

1.5K Posts

July 4th, 2013 11:00

Hi Kenny,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved and wireless is working fine. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

No Events found!