Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 22nd, 2007 21:00

Wireless Network Connection

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200, with Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card.  It has limited or no connectivity, and will not allow me to access the internet with my laptop.  Is there anything that I can do to change the settings to allow connectivity to the internet?

28K Posts

February 23rd, 2007 00:00

To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

8 Posts

February 23rd, 2007 19:00

Here is the information I got off of the lap top:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gandlwhite

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-3A-B0-A5

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.9.71

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain_not_set.invalid

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-F3-F6-7B

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 23, 2007 3:48:26 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:48:26

PM

I certainly hope that you can help me figure out this problem.  Thanks.

Gary

8 Posts

February 23rd, 2007 19:00

Does my laptop need any type of wireless card in order to get wireless internet?

Gary

28K Posts

February 23rd, 2007 20:00

Your laptop has a wireless network card, but it is not getting an IP address from your router.  You do have a wireless router don't you?   You apparently ran the ipconfig command while the laptop was connected to something with a wired connection.  Please run it again without it plugged into a wired connection so we can limit the possiblity of the wireless connection not working because the system detects a wired connection.

If you do have a wireless router, does it have any security features enabled?  If so, which ones, and have you tried temporarily disabling those features as a troubleshooting step?

Steve

8 Posts

February 24th, 2007 12:00

I have an Actiontec Gateway router.  I'm not sure what settings are on it.  Here is the information from the laptop, without it being connected to the network hardwired:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gandlwhite

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-3A-B0-A5

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.9.71

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-F3-F6-7B

28K Posts

February 24th, 2007 13:00

If you open Network Connections, right click your wireless connection and select "View avaialble wireless networks", does your wireless network (router) show up in the list?  If so, select it and then click on the connect button.  what happens?

Steve

8 Posts

February 24th, 2007 20:00

My router doesnot show up in this list.  However, under the wireless network, it states that:  This network requires a network key.  You are currently connected to this network.

28K Posts

February 24th, 2007 21:00

Where,exactly, are you seeing this information?

Steve

8 Posts

February 25th, 2007 16:00

I am getting the information from the Network Connections window.

28K Posts

February 26th, 2007 02:00

Is your router hiding the SSID?  If so, this would explain why your router does not show up in the list.  Hiding the SSID always causes trouble when tyring to troubleshoot wireless networks and will become even more problematic in Windows Vista. 

Steve

28K Posts

February 26th, 2007 23:00

SSID (Service Set Identifier) is the name of your router.   In the router's configuration settings, you can choose to either enabling broadcasting the SSID so other computers can find the router or disable broadcasting of the SSID.  Some people think that not broadcasting the SSID makes their network more secure, but anyone with a simple program can still find the router, so it does not add much security.   Furthermore, if broadcasting the SSID of your router is disabled, it makes it difficult for Windows to find your router. 

To find out if broadcasting your SSID is disabled you will have to go into your router's configuration page.  I have no experience with your model router, so you may have to dig out the manual.  On most routers, from a computer connected by a wired ethernet connection, open a web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar.  This should open the configuration page on your router.  

Steve

8 Posts

February 26th, 2007 23:00

What is a SSID?  How can I find my router through the SSID?  Please explain your last email to me.

Gary

8 Posts

March 12th, 2007 21:00

I have been unable to locate my manual to the router.  Is there any other way I can access this information, or will Verizon (who is my DSL carrier) have this information?

28K Posts

March 12th, 2007 23:00

Did you try searching the Actiontec web site?  If you could provide the exact model number of the router, I might be able to search the site for you.

Steve
No Events found!