Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 08:00

Wireless Printer won't print

Can anyone help me get my V505 going?  It is wireless and has worked off and on since I bought it about 6 weeks ago.  The blue light is on and I can't get it working even if I connect the cord.  The manual which came with the printer contains no troubleshooting pages and while they are supposed to be on the drivers and downloading disc, I can't find nothing.  I am tired of calling the support team.  Over the last two months, I have spoken with them over 30 times!  My first call was regarding my two year old printer which had stopped working.  They reloaded drivers and pronounced the printer dead, saying I would have to buy a new one.  Since that day, I have had nothing but trouble with my 2 year old inspiron 1525.  I believe they ruined both machines.  There are too many coincidences.  All they want to do is sell me something, a hardware warranty (I have the software warranty), extend my software warranty, Christmas gifts for family and friends.  One call lasted 7 hours, another 4 hours, another 3.  What recourse do I have.  I need these things for work.  Does anyone out there know what I can do?  How can I geet the printer to work?  The print jobs just spool up and never move to the printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

bkf,

Here is the instructions I have given to others to install the printer.

Before proceeding, please make sure the computer has all the Windows Updates, especially the net framework, which is needed for many programs to run. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect the printer. Un-install the printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Rick

295 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 13:00

Have you  had any luck. I just recently had to troubleshoot after intial install. It is fresh in my head. Yell back if I can help

4 Posts

December 1st, 2009 17:00

Thank you, folks, for your help. I have given up on Dell and have ordered a laptop from another manufacturer.  I have spent $600 trying to get a printer fixed.  I ended up buying a new printer, along with quite a few other things.  I tried using your helpful suggestions and I thank you so much for trying to help.  That is much more than Dell did for me.  I got stuck on some of the technical stuff when I tried to follow your instructions and ended up calling Dell.  I found out after three hours on the phone that my computer will not contact my printer and is not capable of doing so.  It has taken me nearly three months, 40 phone calls, and the loss of my mind to find out this simple thing.  I have given up on Dell, the company I have always trusted, at least enough to buy 9 computers from.  They have used me.  Would you believe I have had phone calls lasting 3, 3.5, 4, and 7 hours?  I feel like a fool for trying to fix this Inspiron laptop, but it is barely 2 years old.  The techs at Dell are in a foreign country and have nothing invested in their jobs.  They work for an hourly wage, read a scripted page for repairs, and have no reason to care if they help us or not.  I cannot find a way to contact anyone in the US. Has anyone else had trouble like this?  What did you do?

4.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 09:00

I have given up on Dell and have ordered a laptop from another manufacturer.

Good for you :emotion-21:

I have spent $600 trying to get a printer fixed.

:emotion-3: :emotion-3: No printer (for the average home user at least) is worth paying that much for in the first place, never mind spending that much on just to try and get it working properly :emotion-3:

I cannot find a way to contact anyone in the US.

I don't know if it applies here in the UK as well, but I know over the water there (USA), you have to pay extra [during the ordering process] to get 'localised' support :emotion-6:

I suspect you probably then receive specific phone numbers to call, in the event you have a problem?

Has anyone else had trouble like this?

Yup!  Sadly... as a quick browse of the forums will show you... there are many, many other unsatisfied customers :emotion-6:

I should probably add here, that it's almost always unhappy customers you hear from - and that they're a minority, compared to the number of worldwide customers Dell has.

But that's of no consolation to those experiencing problems getting tech support for their faulty products of course :emotion-43:

What did you do?

My normal response would be "persevere", but given how long you've already spent on the phone and financially... it's the last thing I'd suggest to you!

Have you tried escalating the problem via the 'Unresolved Issues' link at the very bottom of this (/every forums) page?

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

Fireblade, it's funny that I'm sitting here holding a beer and reading your message. 

Last night, I tried to call Dell's Customer Service in order to obtain a refund for a hardware warranty I had purchased a couple of days ago.  Obviously, with the other brand of computer, I won't need that, so I placed the call, and after 41 minutes on hold, I hung up and filed a dispute with my credit card company for the charges. 

I have actually tried to reach Dell through unresolved issues three times now.

The thing is that I don't want to buy another brand of computer, but I am compelled to by circumstances.  I doubt seriously if any other company on earth with serious and accurate record keeping, not to mention use of spreadsheets, would sanction the use of 7 hour phone calls or up to 40 calls for one repair to one customer.  Dell must have gotten so large that someone is missing a huge line on the balance sheet.

No Events found!