Highlighted
kbarth
Copper

'Wireless adapter problem after reformatting hard drive on E1505 laptop

I have an Inspiron E1505, XP Media Center, with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 card.  I re-formatted the hard drive, re-installed XP and Media Center, and installed the drivers in the incorrect order initially.  Then I discovered the correct order to install the drivers and re-installed the drivers again, rebooting when prompted.  When I install the Intel wireless software, I receive a "Driver is not installed" error.  Intel troubleshooting suggests to check whether there are any missing drivers and there are no other missing drivers that I am aware of (no yellow ?).  I re-installed the drivers in this order - NSS, chipset, Ricoh, video, audio, Synaptics, Quickset, wireless, Conexant, Broadcom.  I downloaded new drivers for the laptop from the Dell support download site.  I even downloaded a newer version of the Intel 3945 installer from the Intel download site and I cannot get beyond this error.  I recently performed the same reformat on another laptop (Inspiron 1520) and had no problems with drivers or getting the Intel 3945 wireless adapter working.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: 'Wireless adapter problem after reformatting hard drive on E1505 laptop

Welcome to the forums

You seem to have tried most everything else, so all I can suggest trying, is uninstalling the wireless drivers in Device manager (/Network Adapters), rebooting the laptop, and allowing the OS to identify the card, and install default drivers?

If everything works - leave well alone

If the wireless card displays a yellow ! in Device Manager however, then try installing the drivers you downloaded again?

Other than that... I notice you make no mention of having installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager? 

Is it available for the Inspiron E1505 (it'll be under SATA drives on your drivers & downloads page if it is)?

I can't check for myself - unfortunately, since the E1505 isn't listed under Inspiron laptops for some reason?

It's obviously available though?  Can you provide a link to where you got the new drivers you downloaded?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
kbarth
Copper

Thanks, I'll try your suggestion and let you know.  I don't see the Intel Matrix Storage Manager on my list of drivers and downloads.  Here is the link to the drivers and downloads for Inspiron E1505 (also known as 6400).

0 Kudos
kbarth
Copper

Update,

I uninstalled but the OS failed to identify the card.  I then went to the add hardware wizard to try to force the issue.  I chose the card, it installed as did the drivers (I assume) but I got the following message "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.  This device cannot start.  (Code 10)."  I need to do a little research to find out what this means.

0 Kudos
kbarth
Copper

Well, I think I've discovered my problem and now need to resolve it.  I have another laptop, Inspiron 1520 with the same Intel PRO/Wireless card in it.  I replaced the WLAN card in my E1505 with the card that was in my 1520 and the wireless networking is working again on my E1505.  The card was bad.  Now I just need to purchase another WLAN card to replace the bad card and I'm back in business.

0 Kudos

How did you replace the LAN card?

Bob

0 Kudos