Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 16:00

'Wireless adapter problem after reformatting hard drive on E1505 laptop

I have an Inspiron E1505, XP Media Center, with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 card.  I re-formatted the hard drive, re-installed XP and Media Center, and installed the drivers in the incorrect order initially.  Then I discovered the correct order to install the drivers and re-installed the drivers again, rebooting when prompted.  When I install the Intel wireless software, I receive a "Driver is not installed" error.  Intel troubleshooting suggests to check whether there are any missing drivers and there are no other missing drivers that I am aware of (no yellow ?).  I re-installed the drivers in this order - NSS, chipset, Ricoh, video, audio, Synaptics, Quickset, wireless, Conexant, Broadcom.  I downloaded new drivers for the laptop from the Dell support download site.  I even downloaded a newer version of the Intel 3945 installer from the Intel download site and I cannot get beyond this error.  I recently performed the same reformat on another laptop (Inspiron 1520) and had no problems with drivers or getting the Intel 3945 wireless adapter working.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

4.6K Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

You seem to have tried most everything else, so all I can suggest trying, is uninstalling the wireless drivers in Device manager (/Network Adapters), rebooting the laptop, and allowing the OS to identify the card, and install default drivers?

If everything works - leave well alone :emotion-2:. 

If the wireless card displays a yellow ! in Device Manager however, then try installing the drivers you downloaded again?

Other than that... I notice you make no mention of having installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager? 

Is it available for the Inspiron E1505 (it'll be under SATA drives on your drivers & downloads page if it is)?

I can't check for myself - unfortunately, since the E1505 isn't listed under Inspiron laptops for some reason?

It's obviously available though?  Can you provide a link to where you got the new drivers you downloaded?

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

Thanks, I'll try your suggestion and let you know.  I don't see the Intel Matrix Storage Manager on my list of drivers and downloads.  Here is the link to the drivers and downloads for Inspiron E1505 (also known as 6400).

4 Posts

December 11th, 2009 06:00

Update,

I uninstalled but the OS failed to identify the card.  I then went to the add hardware wizard to try to force the issue.  I chose the card, it installed as did the drivers (I assume) but I got the following message "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.  This device cannot start.  (Code 10)."  I need to do a little research to find out what this means.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2009 10:00

Well, I think I've discovered my problem and now need to resolve it.  I have another laptop, Inspiron 1520 with the same Intel PRO/Wireless card in it.  I replaced the WLAN card in my E1505 with the card that was in my 1520 and the wireless networking is working again on my E1505.  The card was bad.  Now I just need to purchase another WLAN card to replace the bad card and I'm back in business.

February 7th, 2010 12:00

How did you replace the LAN card?

Bob

No Events found!