Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 19:00

Wireless capability dissapeared

I am new to these forums and I am not very experienced dealing with network problems so forgive me if I miss out any essential information.

I am running a 'dell studio 1737' and according to my service tag details I have this wireless network setup:

1 WIRELESS : EUROPE DELL BLUETOOTH 370 CAR
1 WIRELESS LABEL - PENTIUM DUAL CORE

WIRELESS : INTEL WIFI LINK 5300 (802.11)

And according to my device manager, the drivers present in network adapters are only:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

IPCONFIG/ALL shows no evidence of wireless.

About three weeks ago I allowed my windows 32bit vista to update itself, after which all existence of  wireless on my laptop has dissapeared, opening up connect to a network  shows nothing, and this is not a reception problem because I live in Japan and as such most mobile phones get picked up. Even pressing the quick access wireless button attached to the sreen side of my laptop fails to spark any reaction.

I have been through the windows help files to no avail, I have system restored to a point before the update to no avail, unfortunatly due to my location I can't use any of the online dell scanning software and I also can't email tech support or send my laptop to dell to be inspected. I am currently at a loss.

My computer seems to have forgotten it has wireless :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

4 Posts

January 21st, 2010 15:00

errr...bump?

4.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 08:00

Have you tried reinstalling the ethernet controller and wireless mini card drivers Chris?

Go to the Studio 1737 'Drivers & Downloads' page, select Vistaand open the 'Network' category.

In there, you find the ethernet controller drivers, and drivers for your 5300.

A word of warning though:  When you first click on a drivers download link, a new window will open, asking which method/option you want to use for the download?

DON'T select the Dell Download Manager option!!!! It's known to cause all sorts of problems!

Choose the 'browser' option instead :emotion-5:

4 Posts

January 31st, 2010 20:00

Thank you for your reply,

Unfortunatly since I have tried to install drivers before using it, 'Dell Download Manager' always pops up when I try and download drivers from this site.

After downloading the mini card drivers, I was unable to install them, I get the following error: "No compatible hardware found..."

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2010 20:00

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunatly I think having tried downloading the drivers again whenever I click on a driver to download, the 'Dell Download Manager' always appears.

To get around this I tried downloading the drivers from the Intel website.

When I try to install them I get this notification on every driver: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Am I missing a driver that is perhaps not in the networking section?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4.6K Posts

February 1st, 2010 08:00

Unfortunatly since I have tried to install drivers before using it, 'Dell Download Manager' always pops up

That's 'coz you still have the cookie it installs on your system.

To get rid of it, close your browser, then open Control Panel/Internet Options, and click the Delete button under 'Browsing History'.

You can now go back to your 'Drivers & Downloads' page, and you'll again be asked which option you want to use for downloads.

Choose the browser option this time - obviously!

Thereafter... at least until such time as you again clear your browsing history... all downloads will automatically be opened in your browser :emotion-5:

No Events found!