Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2011 22:00

Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I just got a XPS 14z.  The wireless signal isn't consistant and it is weaker than my old XPS 1330.  It's actually painfully slow.  Every thing is exactlly the same.  I have my old computer next to the new computer and the wireless signal is working much better on the old computer.  Pages are loading more quickly on the older model.  Is anyone else having problems with how their wireless is performing on their 14z?  There is nothing wrong with the router or internet connection.  Help.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 26th, 2011 06:00

check you antivirus

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 4th, 2011 01:00

I am having the same problem.  I have tried updating the driver from the Dell website and not much difference.  I have three other computers that are working on the same router with no problem.  Dell support?  anybody?  I have increased the roaming sensitivity to high (whatever that is supposed to do) and still nothing.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 6th, 2011 09:00

If you have not already done so please make sure that you have the most up to date driver.  

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Please make sure that both the WIFI and Bluetooth drivers are installed. .

If you continue to have problems with the new driver this may be an issue with PSP incompatibility with your router.  I suggest contacting your router manufacturer and see if they have any new updates.  Here is a link from Intel with more info regarding PSP mode.

www.intel.com/.../cs-006205.htm

Symptom(s):

The following symptoms may be seen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not properly support the Power Save Polling (PSP) feature:

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi connection

Inability to initiate a Wi-Fi connection

Poor Wi-Fi connection data performance

These symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:

PSP mode is a feature that provides extended battery life for notebook computers. It requires coordination between the AP or router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Intel has discovered that some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely.

Solution:

Contact the AP or router vendor for updated software or firmware that corrects the problem, or for a working around put the adapter in C A M mode.

Put the wireless adapter into Continuously Aware Mode using the following steps.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.

Double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the wireless connection and click Properties.

Click Configure.

Click the Advanced tab.

Select the Power Management setting, uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance. Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Please let me know if this helps.

TB

7 Posts

December 7th, 2011 18:00

Exact same problem here on my XPS 14z. Needless to say I am very disappointed with Dell right now.

7 Posts

December 8th, 2011 17:00

Downloading the recommended driver solved the problem for me Terry. Thank you. I am relieved!

5 Posts

December 13th, 2011 12:00

I have tried downloading the new drivers and still have very subpar performance. I cannot find the Power Management setting on my wireless connection. Any additional suggestions? Thanks in advance.

21 Posts

December 14th, 2011 14:00

THIS SOLVED IT FOR ME:

I had the same problem - my good old Vostro 1700 outperformed my brand new 14z on wireless by far while my 14z came with the newest drivers (Terry suggested above) factory installed.

1. I downloaded  from Terry's links and used both (bluetooth first) to UNINSTALL the installed Dell drivers.

2. I downloaded the 6230 driver from Intel:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A

and INSTALLED it. It's a single file. Problem gone! I didn't check on Bluetooth yet, but I guess it'll be ok.

It's always the same story with PC manufacturers. They make their own versions of drivers to meet their misty technical and marketing schemes - and this causes part of the trouble. I have been in the PC industry since 1987, and I always prefer to work with standard OS versions and standard drivers. The more barebone the better. I realize this may require some expierence but it's not that difficult.

Other than this minor flaw: I LOVE  MY 14z - thank you Dell ;P

PeterB

5 Posts

December 15th, 2011 12:00

Thanks PeterB! Terry's drivers didn't help, but yours seems to have fixed the issue! Thanks ever so much! Now I can join the "I love my 14z" fanclub!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 15th, 2011 14:00

Thanks for the tip PeterB

I am happy to read that wireless performance is up to par on your notebook Kzkeeton.

TB

12 Posts

December 17th, 2011 13:00

I had the same problem with my 14z, this is what I did:

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to tools.meraki.com/stumbler ). In my case it was channel 6.

2. Change the channel value from your Intel Pro network adapter device properties to reflect the same value. Mine was set on 1 when I got my laptop from Dell, and I after I changed it I found a huge improvement.

Hope that helps!

12 Posts

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q= ). In my case it was channel 6.

2. Change the channel value from your Intel Pro network adapter device properties to reflect the same value. Mine was set on 1 when I got my laptop from Dell, and I after I changed it I found a huge improvement. 

Hope that helps!

12 Posts

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q= ). In my case it was channel 6.

Hope that helps!

5 Posts

December 19th, 2011 11:00

This may be a stupid question, but how do you change the channel value from the Intel Pro network adapter device properties? I cannot find a screen to do this. My problems had been solved by downloading a new driver, but my computer is back to being super slow on WiFi again. My wifi is broadcasting on channel 5.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2011 11:00

I am getting a message that there is not a supported intel wireless adapter. Perhaps this is the root of my problem? If so, any suggestions on how to correct it? Thanks!

5 Posts

December 19th, 2011 14:00

It had solved it, but after the computer was restarted, it is right back to the same issue. I did not uninstall the original dell drivers first, but updated them with Terry's links. Should I uninstall them now?

No Events found!