Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2011 22:00

Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I just got a XPS 14z.  The wireless signal isn't consistant and it is weaker than my old XPS 1330.  It's actually painfully slow.  Every thing is exactlly the same.  I have my old computer next to the new computer and the wireless signal is working much better on the old computer.  Pages are loading more quickly on the older model.  Is anyone else having problems with how their wireless is performing on their 14z?  There is nothing wrong with the router or internet connection.  Help.

2 Posts

December 29th, 2011 00:00

So far, this is what i have done and my wireless seems to be working a lot better.

I followed the steps from above:

1. Download the Dell driver for the wireless

2. Download the Dell driver for bluetooh

3. Download the OEM Intel 6230 driver (Consists of one program for the wireless/bluetooth)

4. Use the driver programs from steps 1 and 2 to uninstall the stock drivers then install the driver from step 3.

5. Disable and turn off all bluetooth settings

6. Change the power management settings for all profiles to have "Maximum performance" for all 'Power Saver' options.

Only issue i now have is that i get a "Adapter not found" for the My WiFi

12 Posts

December 29th, 2011 01:00

I am truly disappointed in Dell not doing anything about this problem. I just ordered a Intel 6200 at my own expense. I will let you know how that works out.

17 Posts

December 29th, 2011 01:00

The 'blind' Dell troubleshooting continues. They seem to approach it like this wasn't a known issue by now.

Today I had my "wifi inverter board" replaced. That seems to have made the problem worst.

Now Dell is offering to replace the whole system a second time. I only wish they confirmed that 'something' is different in the new system (i.e. "we had problem with a batch of 6230s but these ones are new and working")

will let you know when the third system comes in

21 Posts

December 29th, 2011 02:00

@Joe-G. The standard Intel driver drastically improves performance at close range, but the range still is very poor.

20 Posts

December 29th, 2011 12:00

Yes, same here. How long until Dell is going to fix this?

12 Posts

December 30th, 2011 09:00

As mentioned above, I installed an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (so different than 6200) but still get the same slow speeds. The problem must be in the antennas and shielding. I am going to return my system.

December 31st, 2011 10:00

I have same problem with my new XPS 14z. It's looks even if you get replaced laptop from dell didn't fix that problem. So it's may all laptop with Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 have that problem.

Can I change Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wireless card to other card for example to Atheros?

Dell can you send a manual how to change wireless card to XPS 14z

623 Posts

December 31st, 2011 10:00

I have same problem with my new XPS 14z. It's looks even if you get replaced laptop from dell didn't fix that problem. So it's may all laptop with Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 have that problem.

Can I change Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wireless card to other card for example to Atheros?

Dell can you send a manual how to change wireless card to XPS 14z

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL412z/en/om/minicard.htm#wp1189423

21 Posts

December 31st, 2011 12:00

@Terry: How about 39 pages!!! with people having the same issue with their 15z laptops?

en.community.dell.com/.../19382502.aspx

You Dell guys should start taking this seriously. No more smalltalk please. In my case the OEM Intel driver did improve performance at close range to the access point. But the range is far, and I mean FAR below an acceptable level. I've tried different setting under the advance tab in the device manager to improve things, but without result.

20 Posts

January 1st, 2012 02:00

I had a technician from Dell come by my House and he did switch the wireless card wit no success.

I need that Laptop to travel and he told me that if we ll complain to Dell, they would write a new driver. I just do not have that much time to wait. He also told me he would inform Dell, but they have not replied yet?

Any ideas out there, what is here to do or do we have to send those faulty laptops back?

I already spend so much time on it trying to figure it out and have put my Software and Documents on it?

What a shame that none of Dell people saw this coming?

12 Posts

January 1st, 2012 09:00

Search for and Open "Device Manager"

Under "Network adapters", select your Intel adapter > right click, Properties > Advanced > Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g (at least that's what mine has!)

January 1st, 2012 11:00

I made a call to Dell to request full refund for my XPS 14z nobody sorted any problems with that laptops model. Next week someone coming to collect from me that laptop. I like that laptop style, but I can't stay with this problems, specialy when hyou spend €900

20 Posts

January 1st, 2012 13:00

That is too bad. Will have to do the same. I cannot believe that they have not figured out the problem, in 6 weeks,

17 Posts

January 1st, 2012 16:00

what is worse is that the same issue with the 15z has been reported for over five months, yet Dell is even to aknowledge the problem. Every contact I had with Dell support, they deal with it like if it was an isolated incident. I am waiting for my second replacement but I am not hopeful. A true shame, because the laptop itself is pretty good.

21 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 10:00

When I replace the Intel N 6230 for an Atheros AR9285 the wireless connection (range and speed) is OK.

So it's not an antenna issue. It must be either:

- Defective N 6230.

- Dell specific issue with N 6230 (firmware/bios/driver).

- A wireless/router specific issue with N 6230.

Is there anyone in this thread that has experienced this issue with a brand new wireless router?

No Events found!