Re: Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I want to make sure that readers on the forums understand that unlike Rick I am a Dell employee.  I am part of Dell's Social Media Outreach team, and the Dell Liaison to the notebook forums.  

I know that engineering has released several versions of drivers for the Intel 6230 cards, most of which has solved some user’s wireless issues.  I know that engineering has captured several 15Z notebooks from the field for testing and may capture some 14z notebooks as well.  This is a very complex issue because not all users are having the problems, and those of you that are having problems aren't always having the same symptoms.  I understand your frustration, and would like nothing better to have an answer for you all, I apologize for not having one at the time being.

Engineering is certainly aware of these threads, and they are certainly working hard to find answers for all of you. I will post any updates that I receive from them as soon as I have them.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Here is the current document that is available for correcting WIFI issues with the Intel Centrino 6230 card.

support.dell.com/.../document

I believe that most of you have already tried the latest drivers.  I do suggest taking a look at step 3 as it goes over how to configure the notebook for the strongest WIFI signals.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

Like I said before, apart from the wireless issues we have with 6230, I'm fond of my 14z. Changing to another brand laptop is not what I intend nor would advise. Dell's service is as good as with any other manufacturers (or as bad if you like.) Also I'm convinced Dell would not ship these units if they already know it would cause problems with all of their costumers. So I must assume the majority of 14z & 15z owners do not have the problems we experience. Yet, I believe we are an important enough minority to be heard and taken seriously. That is why I'm in this thread. Now that Terry acknowledged there is a problem and Dell are working on it, my previous posting is answered. Just to make it clear one more time: even if symptoms may vary, the below issues are always the same:

1. very poor range with 14z.

2. intermittant connection with 14z.

3. none of the above with another device.

The above happens with both N and G connections.

Issue #2 can be solved with another driver in my case.

Issue #1 can be solved with an Atherons card in my case (no bluetooth and no intel wireless display).

Conclusion: There's an issue with the 14z & 15z combined with the 6320 under certain conditions. A logic assumption to make is that there is an inefficiency related to the power of the antenna signal under these conditions. Possibly: a too big portion of this power is NOT used to maintain the connection. Why? Don't know. Indeed this is complex.

0 Kudos
lang14z
1 Copper

Hi uall, Just got my xps 14z yesterday. Ordered it then read reviews. I know backwards, but anyway thought I would get it home and have a nightmare. But it has been just the opposite. I love it, it is not as fast as I thought it would be,and the screen has a small angle of view,but other wise she is up to snuff. I think they are getting things worked out. Have had it hooked up to two different routers, and she hasn't missed a beat. I believe Dell got this one right. will cheeck back later if things change.

0 Kudos
rashaunny
1 Nickel

I bought the 14z during black friday and had a terrible time with the wifi drivers.  Recently I installed the new ones from the intel website, not the dell website.  Its the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030.

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx

link again

0 Kudos
Fillbe
1 Copper

Thanks @RASHAUNNY, After trying everything else, this seems to have finally got my xps 14z working comparably to my 5yr old laptop.

Kind of frustrating to find that a brand new high end laptop needs this sort of screwing around with to get wifi preformance up there, in 2002 that was expected, but in 2012 it's a poor show.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the machine.

0 Kudos
rashaunny
1 Nickel

Ooh I'm so glad this helped someone out, I kept my three forum links open for a week before I got around to making an acct and posting that link!  I had just installed a SSD and now I have two hdds and I was really bummed at the wifi performance...its embarassing.  

READ ME__________________________________________

NOTE:  Please search ebay for cdrom hdd caddy and purchase an adapter for the cd/dvd rom drive and install a second hdd in this lappy.  With this configuration and a small ssd in the main bay and a storage drive in the cdrom bay the computer performed well above its price tag...boot up time is 11 seconds from the time of pressing the power button until all 15-20 of my firefox tabs load in the browser, that mean the internet connects almost instantaneously!  An excellent setup.

0 Kudos
rashaunny
1 Nickel

Great post ... Smiley Embarassed

maze06
1 Nickel

Hi there,

I just received my replacement Computer, after I had tow technicians here to exchange the wireless card. First it was same issue with the Computer, but after I had the latest driver installed, it did speed up, just like my old Insprion 13z.

Holds the connection and runs as it should be.

So far, it seems that the newer models, do not have this isssue anymore.

It took a long time, but it seems that was it.

Good Luck everybody.

maze

titania42
1 Nickel

I had the same problem with a Dell XPS 17, I went to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless and used their update utility, which replaced the driver and software and solved the problem.

0 Kudos