peterberger
1 Nickel

Re: Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I've installed Intel's latest drivers 14.​3.​0.​6 - and this indeed seems to have solved my issue. The range is now much better.

0 Kudos
cpufreak3
1 Copper

This is going to sound random, but I reinstalled the operating system using the Dell Recovery Image. Fixed the problem for me...

Updating the driver, regardless of how I did it, made no difference.

0 Kudos
ChrisButler
1 Copper

what card exactly did you replace your Intel with?  What other cards can you replace the Intel card with?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Wouter88
1 Copper

Hello

Any updates on this post? i just got a new xps 14z. Increasing the roaming agressiveness as Terry proposed really helps. It is now just as good as my six year old laptop. Ofcourse I got the latest drivers from Dell. But anyone tell me whether it is better to have the Dell drivers or the drivers from Intell?

0 Kudos
Wrenchead
1 Nickel

Go here: www.intel.com/.../wireless. The driver suggested is 14.3.1.1 and it is by far the best driver yet for the 6230.

Good Luck!

BigNick1958
1 Copper

Hi.  I just got a new laptop yesterday, 4/20. It had the same slow internet speed problem.  I have done the driver re-do's. I have been on the phone for about 2 hours with Dell tech support while they had control of the Dell 14z XPS trying to figure out why it had a speed of 24 to 33 in safe mode and 4 to 8 in regular. Can you help? I think I should just send it back. I've already done a clean install of Windows 7 with the disk, redone the internet drivers as you suggested, the tech verified that I had the latest drivers. Even he was stymied. He said he was calling it a 'class C' problem and would have to get back to me. Honestly, I don't have the patience to deal with a problem like this with a brand new machine out of the box. Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
Wrenchead
1 Nickel

Just out of curiosity, what type of modem and router do you have or are you using a combo gateway?

The reason I ask is because the issue may in fact not be with your laptop but within your network. As a test I would suggest you take your laptop to somewhere that has a different network to try.

The drivers directly from Intel corrected my problem immediately and it works on all networks. I am typing on it right now and it is very fast. I've made no other adjustments except I ditched McAfee A/V which ALWAYS caused my system to pause. You may want to try that if it is installed.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
BigNick1958
1 Copper

I did ditch McAfee. The router is Linksys. It shouldn't matter though, since, in safe mode, the speed is pretty good - 29 to 33 the last few tests, compared to about 4 to 7 out of safe mode, so it's something that's 'on' or 'running' out of safe mode. Aack!

0 Kudos
BigNick1958
1 Copper

Meant to add I will be trying with another router - I just don't expect it to be the answer.

0 Kudos
Wrenchead
1 Nickel

Rather than trying another router, try your laptop on another network. As you already know these adapters are finicky and don't respond to all router/modem or gateway set ups the same. Until you get laptop dialed in, it's important to ensure that it isn't the modem/router running block. In thinking back I did re-boot my modem & router after I updated the drivers.

0 Kudos