vevola
1 Nickel

Re: Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I had the same problem with my 14z, this is what I did:

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q= ). In my case it was channel 6.

2. Change the channel value from your Intel Pro network adapter device properties to reflect the same value. Mine was set on 1 when I got my laptop from Dell, and I after I changed it I found a huge improvement. 

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
vevola
1 Nickel

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to tools.meraki.com/stumbler ). In my case it was channel 6.

2. Change the channel value from your Intel Pro network adapter device properties to reflect the same value. Mine was set on 1 when I got my laptop from Dell, and I after I changed it I found a huge improvement.

Hope that helps!

vevola
1 Nickel

1. Find out on what channel your wifi is broadcasting (if you don't know, go to http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q= ). In my case it was channel 6.

Hope that helps!

KZKeeton
1 Nickel

This may be a stupid question, but how do you change the channel value from the Intel Pro network adapter device properties? I cannot find a screen to do this. My problems had been solved by downloading a new driver, but my computer is back to being super slow on WiFi again. My wifi is broadcasting on channel 5.

0 Kudos
KZKeeton
1 Nickel

I am getting a message that there is not a supported intel wireless adapter. Perhaps this is the root of my problem? If so, any suggestions on how to correct it? Thanks!

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

you said my suggested intel driver initially solved your problem. did you use the original dell drivers (from terry's links) to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new one? peterb

0 Kudos
KZKeeton
1 Nickel

It had solved it, but after the computer was restarted, it is right back to the same issue. I did not uninstall the original dell drivers first, but updated them with Terry's links. Should I uninstall them now?

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

Check the procedure I posted earlier to replace the Dell driver with an Intel driver. This worked for me, my wireless is as fast as it should be since I did this. But like everybody else here, the signal is weaker than with my previous Vostro laptop. Maybe it has to do with the metal housing of this laptop.

@Terry: is there a way I could switch the XPS Wireless card with the one in my Vostro?

0 Kudos

Peter

The only card that we ship with the system is the 6230.  I am assuming that if the card will fit in the socket correctly, it should be fine.  I have not tried it though so I couldn't say for sure.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

Thanks Terry. Yes I figured another wireless card would fit in the socket, this is all standard. But how do I access the socket on my XPS 14z? There are no cover plates to remove from the bottom that would gives access. Should I remove the whole bottom plate by removing the 8 screws (are there any hidden screws for example under the rubber feet)? I may try depending on the effort it would take. I have no problems with wireless performance since I replaced the driver, except for the decreased range which is not really a big deal for me. PB

0 Kudos