odietamo
1 Nickel

Re: Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I am trying hard to stick to this laptop but Dell is not making easy for me. Crazy that, having paid for 3 years support, I get more suggestions here that from them. All that said, I have tried @Terry's suggestions and @PeterB but still have no joy. On the phone with Dell for more than one hour six days ago, told me they'll call back. Tonight called them again and sat about for 3 hours to be told that someone may call tomorrow... :-(

has someone here pinned down all the required steps to definitely fix this?

also, why after uninstalling existing drivers and installing new ones dated 28 October, the properties say that the drivers are 15 September?

thank you

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

@odietamo. The driver I suggested is an older one. My properties list 3-8-2011. This is Intel's most recent driver and it works for me after I followed the procedure I posted before. The signal is weaker than with my old laptop, but the speed is fine. No problem for me, because I usually work close enough to an access point. But speed and distance to access point have a direct relation. So I would suggest to check your connection as close as you can get. If it still fails, you may want to try the intel driver. If it still fails then, it's someting else than what I experienced.

Either way. Theres seems to be range problem with wireless on the 14z in all cases mentioned in this thread. So the question is if this is caused by the wireless adapter itself (maybe a weak series) or an antenna issue caused by the nature of the metal housing. That is why I proposed to try and test the wireless adapter from my Vostro in the 14z. Any suggestions @Terry?

0 Kudos
odietamo
1 Nickel

Thanks @peterberger, yes i can get 54Mbps if i sit a couple of meters from the router. But my desk is further away, both at home and at work. However, from those location my existing Dell laptops work at 54mbp, instead of fluctuating from 12Mbps to no signal. So it may be the antenna; but they replaced it in the first laptop but made no difference.

0 Kudos
Fompe
1 Nickel

I also have XPS 14z and have exactly the same problem. Connection with Intel 6230 is extremely slow... My old laptop connects at 150Mbps, the 14z at 20Mbps or less. Dell Tech Support could not help because my laptop was too new, the Service Tag was not registered... They recommended to do a clean Windows 7 install, I did on both laptops, tried both Intel and Dell website drivers, no joy.... Please Dell help!!

0 Kudos
mike1375
1 Copper

I also am having the same problem. i have tried all the solutions posted here. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. The wireless card performance is unacceptably poor. This needs to get fixed.

0 Kudos
NeilMN
1 Copper

I am having the exact same problem. Have tried reinstalling the new drivers both from Dell and from Intel. Even with manipulating all the settings on my router and my network card, the speed is significantly slow. When I turn wireless-N off on the router, the speed of my XPS14Z is unchanged - in that scenario my 5 year old HP laptop with a b/g card is about 2-3X faster. 

0 Kudos
DominicG
1 Copper

The sad thing is this was supposed to be a mobile laptop, while the wireless connection for my machine is just fine one room away from the wireless setup, once I step farther away the signal is completely lost. I am not sure if any of the problem solving techniques listed above would help, and if someone with more expertise could inform me that would be great. But it is just another sad story of a Dell XPS 14z not working to its true potential. I am truly disappointed.

0 Kudos
peterberger
1 Nickel

@ Dominic. You're right. As soon as the distance between XPS 14z and wireless is over 6-7 meters, the signal gets too weak. 

@ Terry. Now that more and more people are experiencing this problem, I guess Dell is looking into this matter seriously. I asked you for advice on replacing the wireless card in my 14z for another type to try isolate the possible cause (card / antenna combination?) but didn't hear back from you. Are you guys working on a solution? 

Peter

0 Kudos
odietamo
1 Nickel

i had my antenna and 6230 card replaced on my 14z (with same card) but that did not fix the issue. Now they want to replace the laptop a second time, but i know that nothing would change unless they modify the configuration trying a new card. The replace the antenna they had to take a part the whole system: obviously a different antenna won't be an option with this design. Maybe it's too shielded?

I wonder what people with the 15z means by the drivers having "fixed the issue". How far from the modem are they testing? It's very concerning that so many have been troubleshooting for the last 6 months.

As far as the suggestion it may be the router, i took my 14z and M1210 to the office (where there are multiple wireless signals from several companies) and to coffee shops and the signal is consistently much much lower (usually unusable) on the 14z. I could upgrade my home router but i can't go about upgrading everyone else's...

When an official statement from Dell on the issue? Who do we need to contact, considered that support deals with it like if it were individual issues?

0 Kudos
Joe-G
1 Copper

So far, this is what i have done and my wireless seems to be working a lot better.

I followed the steps from above:

1. Download the Dell driver for the wireless

2. Download the Dell driver for bluetooh

3. Download the OEM Intel 6230 driver (Consists of one program for the wireless/bluetooth)

4. Use the driver programs from steps 1 and 2 to uninstall the stock drivers then install the driver from step 3.

5. Disable and turn off all bluetooth settings

6. Change the power management settings for all profiles to have "Maximum performance" for all 'Power Saver' options.

Only issue i now have is that i get a "Adapter not found" for the My WiFi

0 Kudos