Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2009 05:00

Wireless configuration is inconsistent

Hi.

I have Dell Inspiron 6400.
I re-install Windows Xp Pro.
I installed all the latest drivers.
After I installed "Dell Wireless (US) WLAN Card". it installed the wireless progrma.
I can see the wireless monitor.

But when I am tring to enter the monitor or accessing the "Wireless configuration Utility" from the control panel.
I am getting a pop-up box with his title:
"Wireless configuration".
The text of this box is: "Internal configuration is inconsistent. Please restart the machine to resolve the problem".

When I restart winodws it takes 10 miuntes to do so.
And the problem is not fixed.

Please help me.

Thanks

Elad

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2009 11:00

HI.

Try this:

• download the latest Dell WLAN driver, save to hard drive, do not run. (choose the network adapter link for your particular card from the list here)
  • uninstall the Dell WLAN utility from Add/Remove Programs.
  • cancel out of the Windows Found New Hardware wizard, if it launches, then run the install from the driver you just downloaded.

7 Posts

April 25th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

there are some Dell - Drivers.

What driver to download?

Dell Wireless (US) WLAN Card?
Dell Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard?

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2009 22:00

You would need to download the driver for your card. You can enter your service tag into the system configuration tool, and look over your order details to find the wireless card model.

7 Posts

April 25th, 2009 22:00

I entered my service tag.

It says that I need the Intel driver.
I installed the Intel driver but it didn't work.
I ccn't connect thorw wi-fi.
So the Intel is not the right one.

Witch other driver to try?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2009 08:00

I think there is some confusion. Your original post indicates you were having problems with the Dell WLAN utility. If you are installing an Intel WLAN driver yet have a Dell WLAN card, you will not be able to connect.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2009 12:00

I have problem with Dell WLAN utility. After I install the utility I get the massege.

I worte that if I install Intel Driver I don't have wireless.

What driver should I install?

Thanks

7 Posts

May 1st, 2009 04:00

Hi.

i found solution for my problem.
In Dell web-site there are some wireless drivers.

The problem happened becoused I installed Intel driver, and it didn't work.
And after that I installed Dell wireless dirvers.

What I did is to format my laptop.
Re-install windows.
I installed ONLY DELL WIRELESS.

Now everything is working.
I have wireless and it doesn't take me 10 minutes to shutdown.

Elad

2 Posts

August 25th, 2009 10:00

I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with WinXP Media Center Edition SP3. I have the same problem with the wireless error, even with the "update". I got my computer from eBay, but it did not come with the disc for Dell Wireless1390 WLAN Mini-card nor the Windows installation CD. Also, it came from Canada, and I live in the US.  I would like to keep my stuff without having to format and settle with a Vista version.

EDIT: Thanks to tomicjr for finding a solution to this problem. It may be a hassle, but hey it works.

The following registry key will enable the opening of the utility, but must be reset after every boot:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Broadcom\802.11]
"IsJustInstalled"=dword:00000001

2 Posts

September 27th, 2009 14:00

How do I do this? What ias a registry key? Im lost. Can anyone outline real simple how to solve the inconsistent issue? Thanks!!

2 Posts

September 28th, 2009 00:00

The registry keys are folders in the registry on the left column of the editor.

First, click on "Run..." in the Start Menu, then type "regedit".

Second, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Broadcom > 802.11.

Next, right click under the values, not the keys. Click on New > DWORD Value.

Then name the value "IsJustInstalled". Double click on the value and type 1 in the Value Data box. Hit OK. Make sure it is still highlighted.

Finally, in the File menu, click "Export..." In the Export window Name it any name, but I prefer to name it "Enable Wireless". Save it wherever you can remember! Since this resets itself every time your computer reboots, in order to save your own sanity, you can just double-click on that registry file and confirm. This is easier than having to go through Registry Editor every time it reboots.

There you have it. Hope your problem is solved.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2009 20:00

Hi! Well, it worked before. And thanks for your help. Im having all types of issues with my inspiron. But even when I follow these steps it still is telling me the configuration is inconsistent. Any clue on why? Worked before then happened again and no go on the steps. Thanks for ytour help!

No Events found!