Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2009 12:00

Wireless connection - Acquiring Network Address

Hello

Hope someone can help.

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Netbook, when I'm trying to connect to a wireless network I get the message 'Acquring Network Address'. I can connect fine using a wired connection, but using the Wirless 1397 WLAN Mini card it won't connect.

I tried to log a call with Dell as the machine is only 2 months old and someone remotely connected and said it was a software fault not hardware and they would charge me to resolve the issue. I found that hard to swallow so thought I would try here.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Mark

23 Posts

October 6th, 2009 16:00

Assuming your wireless key is not wrong, determine if the network is using WPA or WPA2. See the following discussion, which states that WPA does not work with that card for some reason (probably a bug)

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19261013/19547846.aspx

Maybe the network you are trying to connect to is wpa only?

Generally though, getting stuck on aquairing network address means either the key is wrong, or the wireless ap and client are not on the same protocol (wpa, wpa2, wep, etc)

October 6th, 2009 17:00

You  can try a few things. Check if the network key is correct. Try connecting to an unsecured wireless network. Also make sure you do not have any devices like a cordless phone or anything that interferes with the wireless while trying to connect.

October 11th, 2009 03:00

Thank you

The key was correct but it seemed to be the security protocol, changed it to WPA+WPA2 and everything now works ok.

Mark

July 4th, 2012 20:00

That is good to know.

No Events found!