Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2008 15:00

Wireless switch location for Inspiron E1075.

Where is wireless on/off switch for Inspiron E1705 with Dell wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card?  I'm told the wireless card has been turned off.  It shows as enabled and working in Devices.

14.4K Posts

press the and keys.

8 Posts

where is the FN key and do I push them all at the same time?

1.7K Posts

September 16th, 2008 17:00

It looks like you got it figured out, but just in case I'm wrong ...

The function (Fn) key is in the lower left corner of the keyboard on Dell notebooks, right between the CTRL and Windows (Flag) key.  Text on the keyboard in blue (the same color as the text on the Fn key) shows what that particular key does if you press it while holding down Fn (e.g., Fn+F8 toggles between internal, external and dual display for video).

1.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 18:00

If its disabled in the BIOS, Windows won't see it.  If it is enabled it should show up in Device Manager.  F2 at the Dell splash screen to enter the BIOS.

In Device Manager you can disable the hardware.  Windows will still see it, but will ignore it.  Right click the Device Manager entry to enable or disable it (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > then find the device).

Fn+F2 only controls the radio in the wireless card, turning it on or off.  Depending on your system you might have a WiFi catcher switch on the side of the computer that can also be used to toggle the radio.  For some of those systems the catcher switch is used instead of Fn+F2.

In the Dell Wireless Utility or Intel Pro Set (depending on which card you have installed) there is also an option to toggle the radio and/or enable the wireless card.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2008 18:00

Thanks. When I press FN+F2 nothing happens. When I press FN+F8 I get a quick flash.

Is there any other way to enable my wireless card?

February 17th, 2010 09:00

There is a physical switch located on the side of the computer. On my Insipron 1525, it is a black slide switch located on the right side near the front edge. There is a miniscule radio antenna icon next to the switch. It is VERY easy to overlook. Use this switch if Fn F2 does not work. It took me quite a while to locate the switch. Good luck to all of you.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2012 13:00

Back to the Inspiron E1705, can you turn off WiFi independently from Bluetooth?

I plug mine directly into my router so I have no need for WiFi but want to use bluetooth.

Fn + F2 seems to turn off both.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2012 16:00

Knighter,

On some models, you can turn off the bluetooth in the Windows Mobility Center or device manager.

Rick

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 03:00

Hi Pudgy,

Many thanks for your reply, but I want to turn off the WiFi not the bluetooth.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 05:00

Knighter,

Go to device manager.

Right click on the adapter, then left click disable.

Rick

3 Posts

February 4th, 2012 01:00

Thanks Rick.

It's a pity the options don't toggle between all the possible options when using fn + F2.

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2012 01:00

Knighter,

I agree. Or maybe put that option in the Windows mobility center.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!