Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 11:00

XPS 12, unstable wireless, tried several fixes.

Hello

I got my XPS 12 three days ago, and was sad to realize it did indeed have the known wireless issues. I will go into details as of what happens, as it is slightly different than what I've come across earlier. 

When I start the laptop, it connects as intended, but after some use, it simply stops, yet, it still shows I am connected, and how strong the conection is. The only way to resolve this, is to disconect manualy and reconect. One out of ten times I may get a conection error, saying the adapter was unable to conect.

Whenever I try to install larger things, the wireless stops faster, the less use, it stay connected for longer. Moody much?

I have followed this link here, changed the settings as recomeneded, updated, tried different drivers, turn on and off, playd with the settings, alas, no change.

I also tried getting in touche with the XPS premium support, but was directed to something called PWC (calling from northen scandinavia)? Needless to point out, they didn't pick up eighter of the times I called.

I have the: Intel@ Dual band Wireless AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0 fully updated, I also recently ran windows updater, restarted my laptop several times to make sure it al intalled, and so on and so fort. 

Keep in mind, I am not very steady on the computer settings, so keep it simple. And add colourfull pictures.

Have a nice day!

5 Posts

September 24th, 2013 07:00

After a month and a half, lo and behold, I have the fix!

Changing the network card, adapter, anthena and whatnot didn't solve the issue, but downgrading to an older driver did, weirdly. It's been running smoothly now for a full day, and seem to be stable. I will add a step by step tutorial for the rest of you.

1. Go to this page here and download the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 driver version 16.1.0.13,A02

2. Press Win + X and enter device managment

3. Open the Network adapter menue and uninstall the current wireless driver

4. Hold down shift as you restart the computer, from there, enter secure mode (It's important that you keep pressing in SHIFT as you restart)

5. Install the driver from step 1, but run it as admin. It will ask for an update or custom install, upgrade worked fine.

6. Restart the computer, enter your network key,  voila!

If this doesn't work for you, let me know. If it did, send a complaint to Dell on my behalf. I am furiouse with Dell for letting me wait over a month before they even cared to try anything, and for some strange reason they refused my 30 days return request, even though it was valid and a part of the deal. This is the first time in the five years I've used Dell that they didn't take me seriously, which in the end forced me to buy a second laptop for my studies.

5 Posts

August 5th, 2013 23:00

It happens in both modes, and no, I have not connected it to a second wireless connecion yet, even though I have several other devices that uses the wireless, and I have never expirienced any issues on those.

I have stated that everything is up to date.

And I am totaly lost within the Win8 settings and have yet found the bluetooth. But I will try to look it up right away and see if it helps. Update coming soon.

Edit: Bluetooth has not yet been activated

341 Posts

August 5th, 2013 23:00

is the problem occurring when you use the xps 12 in tablet or laptop mode.. ? (silly question but still...  suspecting antenna issues)

have you tried connecting to other networks to check ...

hoping the wireless card has the latest version ( intel says you have to download version 16.0.5 - downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx*&lang=eng   run the IT Administrators: Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers):  Wireless_16.0.5_e64.zip

also, have you checked if keeping bluetooth disabled helps ? (disable it from device manager both from network adapters and bluetooth category)

341 Posts

August 6th, 2013 00:00

even if you have other computers working fine, it is an odd thing to say this.. but you might wanna check with a different network..

windows + r key ... type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.. right click and disable entries under bluetooth category and "only" the bluetooth related entries under Network Adapters category,,,

please post your router specs here also.. might help other users, thanks.

5 Posts

August 6th, 2013 01:00

After disabeling the bluetooth as you sugested, I did a stresstest and it worked fine from 09:06 to 09.08 which is the fastest it has stopped workin so far.

I will be taking the laptop along with me later in the evening and test if it works on my mothers conection, alltough she has the same as me, only smaler.

Router specs: Telenor Norway, Phone line connection Medium (400MB, but get up to 800MB as there are few people still on the phone line) Using the Telenor Router that came with the instalation-guy.

(It is still unknown when the phone lines will be cut, and after that there is no possible conections apart from mobile)

Update: Dell decided to send a repairman out to change the antena and hardrive, he should be here on monday.

August 11th, 2013 16:00

I have the same exact problem.  Received my computer last week.  Please let me know if you find a solution!

1 Message

August 18th, 2013 18:00

I have the same problem as well. Mine was received last Thursday. Interent connection is shown connected but no network access.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2013 22:00

Hello again,

After contacing Dell support, they suggested to call out a repairman to change the wireless card as well as the anthena. Sadly, I've been waiting two weeks for that to happen now, and I am close to return the whole damn sale and get a refund. I sugest you all make contact with the Dell tec support, as they want to change the wireless card and athena.

The best of luck finding a soluion to your problem.

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 08:00

Bought my XPS12 in Dec, had EXACTLY the same issues using the latest drivers 16.5.3.6. Showed connected, but wasn't really, unstable, worked sometimes, other times not. So did as Meroza suggested. Now running 16.1.0.13.A02 and the network card is rock solid. Come on Dell. Get it together. Pull the latest driver set for the AC-7260 they DONT work properly.

1 Message

July 25th, 2014 04:00

Try upgrading to the latest drivers:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless

17 is out - I am upgrading my XPS15 now as this was experiencing the same issues

2 Posts

December 28th, 2014 14:00

Has anyone change the 6235intel card to ac7260 Intel in the xps12 if yes how?

No Events found!