Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2012 08:00

XPS 13, my wifi technology: adapter not found

My system seems to connect to my network, but I don't have network connectivity (no apps can connect to the internet). When I ping the gateway address, the ping fails. I get the message from the subject line, I went to the wifi app and it was disabled. I re-enable it but it makes no difference.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

1.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hi jeoconnor56

Let’s try few following steps:-

1. Please follow the following steps if your system has Mcafee installed (otherwise proceed to step 2):-

• Restart your system and keep tapping F8 as soon as the Dell logo appears. Highlight “Safe Mode with Networking” and press Enter.

• When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode with Networking, open Internet Explorer and go to http://mvt.mcafee.com.

• If you are unable to connect to the internet in "Safe Mode with Networking", proceed to the Last Step else continue with below steps.

• Click on Run to install the McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT).

• After MVT installation completes, click Next to run the scan.

• Once MVT detects an issue with the McAfee software, leave the default option as AutoFix and click Next.

• When the AutoFix completes, restart the system.

• After the system restarts, Right click on the McAfee icon > Choose Update > Click on About and ensure that the DAT version is 6809 or above.

• If the issue persists even after performing the above steps, uninstall and reinstall the McAfee; ensure that the DAT version is 6809 or above.

2. I will suggest you to run the network troubleshooter. Following are the steps:-

• Click the Start button , click Control Panel, and then, in the search box, type network. In the list of results, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Troubleshoot problems.

• After diagnosing a problem, the Network troubleshooter will suggest ways for fixing it. Sometimes the troubleshooter can even fix the problem automatically without any intervention from you.

3. You can check the IP address for both wireless and wired of your system first. If you are getting IP address as 169.254.XXXX.XXX, the passphrase entered may be wrong.

4. You can also try to recreate the profile:-

• Click ‘Start’.

• Tap inside ‘Search Programs and Files’ and type ‘Manage Wireless Networks’.

• Page displays the wireless profile (Name of the wireless network)

• Click the SSID

• Click Remove

• Search for the wireless networks again

• Try connecting to your network  

5. You can power cycle the router:-

• Please power off the modem, the router and the system.

• Turn on the modem and wait for 30 to 45 second. Once the lights are steady, turn on the router.

• Turn on the computer and connect to the network and see if you are able to go online.

6. Uninstall and re install the wireless drivers:-

• Click on the Start button and right click on “My Computer”.

• Click on “Manage”.

• Click on “Device Manager”.

• Go to “Network adapters” and right click on the wireless driver and click on “uninstall”.

• Restart the system and reinstall the wireless driver from the following link:

www.dell.com/.../xps-13-l321x

7. Update the BIOS from the following link:-

www.dell.com/.../xps-13-l321x

8. You can run the Intel Wireless Utility Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality:-

• The Intel diagnostics can be accessed from either the Start —> All Programs —> Intel PROSet Wireless menu

Or

From the Network and Sharing Center —> Intel PROSet/Wireless tools link.

• If any test fails, the troubleshoot button becomes available to help resolve the problem.  

Hope this helps. Do write back for further queries.

August 24th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for your help. I booted in safe mode, went to the mcafee site and downloaded MVT, ran the tool, allowed the AutoFix and then re-booted. My system is now working as before. Thank you for your help.

No Events found!