Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2012 20:00

XPS 15 (L502x) Wifi link 1000 BGN dropped connections

I have two XPS 15 (L502x) laptops (purchased in March '12) with Intel Wifi link 1000 BGN adapters.  On a regular basis both laptops lose their connection to the internet (via FIOS), at the same time.  I'm convinced that is not FIOS or my router.  I have a Dell STUDIO 8100, an iPhone and iPad, and these wireless devices do not lose their connections.   Sometimes I'm able to resolve the issue by using "troubleshooting" via the adapter, often restarting the laptop and/or the router is the only way to resolve my problem.  I've run the Dell Support software, it indicates no drivers are available for update, so I assume I'm current.

I've read about turning off 802.11n, I've read about problems w/ power management and conflicts with wireless, but I've yet to find a solution.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this very annoying problem (besides running an ethernet cable to the laptop ;) )

Thanks

JIm

10 Posts

June 1st, 2012 20:00

BTW, when I ran the diagnostics tool (while I was disconnected), it failed the "Association Test".  Not sure what that means.

10 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 07:00

Bump

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 12:00

Jim,

Try...

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Create a Power Plan

Select High performance.

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

10 Posts

June 4th, 2012 20:00

Ok Rick, will give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

June 5th, 2012 18:00

Something else you may want to take a stab at:

Dell doesn't always carry the latest drivers from a manufacturer (I beleive because they haven't been run through Dell's QC/QA process yet,) but if you're feeling impatient, you can always go directly to the manufacturer's site and download the latest drivers directly from them.

In this case, Intel's site has a new driver for the WiFi Link 1000 BGN (15.1.1.1 released 05/03/2012) that solved some similar issues that I was having. It also boosted my wireless speed by about 20%.

Anywhoo, here's the link to the driver on Intel's site:
Their autodetect tool is great for making sure you're getting the proper driver
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

You can also download direct from this link, but make sure your WiFi card shows up on the list. It wouldn't hurt to follow the instructions under "which file should I download?" link on this page.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21244

Hope this helps & good luck!

Cheers,

PunkRockMonkey

June 5th, 2012 18:00

oops!

10 Posts

June 5th, 2012 19:00

Thanks!  No wonder the updates didn't show up through Dell.  Didn't think to check the Intel site.  Installing the updates now and will "wait and see".  Thanks again, this has been very helpful.

Jim

10 Posts

July 17th, 2012 20:00

I installed Intel's site has a new driver for the WiFi Link 1000 BGN (15.1.1.1 released 05/03/2012) and this seemed to solve the problem, for the last month and half.

However, came home after a long weekend, fired up both laptops and now for whatever reason, neither can connect to the Internet.  How can that be with both???  No wireless problem on dell pc, 2 ipads, a mac or iphone.   After reading about many problems on other sites about this adapter, it's time to get a different adapter, it's clearly problematic.  Can anyone recommend a replacement?  Do I need to use a mini-card or can I get a USB wireless adapter.

Thanks,

Jim

10 Posts

July 17th, 2012 22:00

False alarm (I guess).  IP leases were expired, had to reboot the FIOS router AND ipconfig /release and renew to get things working.

10 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 21:00

I continue to have problems with this wireless adapter, the latest being DHCP lease expiring and not automatically renewing, have to restart my router to fix.  Again, no problems with dell pc and wireless or my macs, so not necessarily fios.  Can anyone recommend a compatible replacement adapter?

Thanks,

Jim

No Events found!