Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2015 20:00

XPS 1810 - Really Strange Network Issues with Windows 10

Ok, so this is a strange one...

I've got an XPS 1810 Tablet which recently got upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.  Before the upgrade everything was working fine with the wireless adapter (except for the fact that its bundled with the ridiculous Killer Networking software)

After upgrading I noticed some weird stuff happening.  

1. When I click on the wifi icon in the system tray it only gives me an option to go to network settings.  It doesn't show the network I'm on or any other networks

2. If I go into network setting I am unable to set networks there (but when i check the adapter it shows up fine)

3. After 5-10 minutes the wifi system tray icon disappears and is replaced with a no lan network icon.  The strange part being there is NO LAN adapter on the xps 18 tablet.

4. The only way to set connect the wifi to a network is to do it from the login page.  And once connected it stays throughout all of the symptoms above...

Attempted fixes:
1. uninstall all Killer Networking applications and drivers and reinstall killer netowrk software
2. do the same thing but with the bare driver installation

Please!  I totaly stumped and its bugging the *** out of me

1.8K Posts

October 5th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

That does sound weird.   Not sure what is going on, but you might want to try out these two links and see if anything in them helps.

No networking hardware available after Windows 10 Upgrade.

Resolving Connections issues in your Network for Windows 10

My next question is what router are you connecting to?  Brand and model.   You said your router is bundled with the Killer networking software, did you mean your wireless adapter?  Or is your router also associated with Killer?     Have you updated the firmware on that router to get it up to date just as you have with the latest drivers for your wireless card?

Let me know about the router, last time you updated it, and if either of the links above has any info that may help you out.  If not, I'll see what else I can suggest to try and figure out what is going on.

Todd

October 5th, 2015 11:00

That's embarrasing... Sorry, I misspoke, by router I meant wireless adapter.

The router is a Netgear R6300v2 with up to date firmeware.  No other device is having issues (inclluding other machines that were upgraded to windows 10)

And I've tried similar fixes, but will try those 2 links over again.

If you have any other suggestions or need any other information let me know

October 5th, 2015 20:00

ok, i tried both but still no luck.  

its a super weird issue. As I type my computer shows that i have NO LAN connection, there is no wifi system tray icon, network and sharing center shows that i am connected the wifi but doesn't give me an option to look for another network if disconnect,  and device manager says my Killer wireless-N 1202 Network Adapter is fully up to date.  

At this point im wondering if its worthwhile to replace the adapter altogether... i can still connect the internet using strange workarounds but its so annoying to have it not work directly,  

1.8K Posts

October 6th, 2015 07:00

At this point im wondering if its worthwhile to replace the adapter altogether... i can still connect the internet using strange workarounds but its so annoying to have it not work directly,  

Hi,

If you can get to the internet, with workarounds, then I wouldn't think it's the adapter itself.  What sort of things do you have to do to get connected?  You said you can get to the internet if you go to the "login page" but what page are you talking about?  What are you logging into?

Todd

October 6th, 2015 08:00

"login page" refers to the windows 10 login screen I land on upon starting the computer.  At the bottom left of the screen I see 3 icons (wifi, accessibility, power).

IF i click on the wifi icon right when i start the computer it shows a list of all networks and lets me put in a password.  Then after I log in the weirdness happens.

If i log out to go back to the windows login page while wifi icon is still in my system tray, then the wifi icon is still on the login page but when i click it it shows a blank list

if i log out after the wifi icon is replaced with a no lan icon, then the wifi icon is also replaced by a no lan icon on the login screen.

1.8K Posts

October 6th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Were you using any sort of VPN software on your system, for any reason, prior to the upgrade?  Check out this Dell support article and this other article I found.  I'm not sure if it's the same issue for you because I'm not sure that others reported the ability to connect via the login screen.  

Check them out and see if any of it helps.

Todd

October 6th, 2015 13:00

I checked both articles and no I wasn't using any sort of VPN beforehand.  In fact I did the upgrade to windows 10 on a fresh install of windows 7 pro... so there was literally nothing special configured or held over

1.8K Posts

October 7th, 2015 08:00

My best suggestion that I can think of now is to try and do a clean install now that you've done the upgrade.   See if that clears up whatever is causing the issue.   You could try replacing the wireless adapter and seeing if a different make / model would be any different but there are no guarantees with that.

Todd

No Events found!