Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2009 14:00

XPS 730 Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse problems

Every since I bought my new XPS 730, there has always been bluetooth problems with the keyboard/mouse (Dell brand).  It loses connection for no apparent reason then reconnects seconds later; sometimes no connection on boot up; mouse connects but keyboard doesn't.  But now I cannot connect the keyboard or mouse at all and the device manager is showing a code 43 on the bluetooth hardware (Dell 355 Bluetooth).  I'm about to throw the whole system out the windows (don't even get me started about Vista).

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:emotion-55:

1 Message

January 4th, 2009 17:00

I have had a similar problem with my XPS420 bought in August.  I have no other Bluetooth devices in the house but the keyboard and mouse occasionally stop working and take a second or two to start after a period of non-use.  It is as though Bluetooth "goes to sleep" if the mouse or keyboard is not used for some time, and at one stage the keyboard completely refused to connect despite trying all the steps in the Dell help pages on that subject - eventually I was advised to buy a cheap USB keyboard (c£20) to connect in such emergencies! 

Today I have a new problem: while copying very large files (4.5Gb) from a laptop the mouse cursor has become very erratic and wanders all over the screen, which is preventing me from doing any other work.  Although the Dell help pages suggest uninstalling and reinstalling etc, I am reluctant to do that during the 3 hours of copying in case it aborts.  I have emailed Dell and am awaiting their reply, but if anyone has any ideas I should be very grateful.

13 Posts

April 15th, 2009 13:00

Hi there, I have a similar problem with my Dell Mouse/Keyboard.  Did you ever find a solution?  It looks like it has something to do with Vista.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2009 09:00

I'm having a similar problem with the Bluetooth mouse on my Studio XPS 435. I have the slow start, and often the first click after startup or wakeup doesn't seem to register. Then at unpredictable times the cursor seems to track the mouse movement, but with a major delay, often several seconds, making it almost unusable. I've tried cleaning the lens, putting in fresh batteries, and using the mouse on different surfaces. I also tried turning off SetPoint. Each thing seems to help briefly, but I think that just means the problem is intermittent. I'm trying to correlate the problem with cpu usage, but without seeing anything so far. It often happens when I'm not doing anything demanding, and anyway, it seems like a core i7 should be able to handle the mouse along with almost anything else that's going on.

74 Posts

May 4th, 2009 10:00

I have an XPS730 with the Vista 32 bit Home Premium Operating System and I have similar issues although it does not happen all of the time.  I have the Logitech MX5500 keyboard and mouse and every once and awhile they both stop working and I either have to plug in a USB mouse to restart the computer, which sometimes the computer takes quite awhile to locate the driver or I have to restart through the power button.  One thing I have found however, If I pull the power from the computer (unplug) and let it set for approximately 10 seconds and then plug back in and reboot my bluetooth keyboard and mouse always works.  If I do not remove the power from the computer the keyboard and mouse may or may not work.

Recently I also have the issue that when the computer starts up I get a Bluetooth Service Stack Error.  I have seen a number of posts regarding this issue but no solution.  Can someone help me with this issue. 

2 Posts

May 9th, 2009 07:00

I may have a partial solution - it's hard to be sure, since the problem is so intermittent. If I reposition my mouse sothat it's more lined up with the front of the computer, the delay in the mouse tracking goes away. I'm speculating that the bluetooth antenna either is fairly unidirectional, or else is shielded by the computer case, so that having the mouse too far to the side causes communication problems. If you try this, please post your results.

My mouse is still slow to get started after power up or wake up, but that's easier to live with than the lack of control.

1 Message

June 12th, 2009 16:00

I am having the same trouble that albatesta is. This is on my just-arrived-yesterday (and-I-am-still-being-constantly-annoyed-by-Vista) XPS 435MT. My mouse is showing really bad lag at times, with the pointer intermittently trailing the actual mouse motion by over a second at times. It doesn't sound like much but it would be almost comical to watch if it weren't so surreally bad to use. It like the old comet trail software (mostly malware) kids used to put on their PCs, but the pointer is the tail of the comet, instead of the head.

My setup has the PC sitting on the floor and basically facing my left shoulder as I use the mouse about four feet away with my right hand. It should not really be having any trouble getting the BT signal, since the mouse is essentially almost in front of the CPU case. It had no trouble detecting the mouse or keyboard.

I am almost certain this is a software issue or conflict. The CPU is under almost no load. There are no other BT devices on anywhere within 100 feet. The fact that the pointer motion is smooth (and not jumpy), means that the receiver is actually getting all of the data from the mouse; it's just not processing it properly. It could be that two pieces of software are trying to manage the mouse at once...

Between the BlueTooth software and the mouse software, there is a lot running that could be at the root of this. I see the following programs that might be involved.

• C:\Program Files\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
  • C:\Windows\KHALMNPR.EXE
  • C:\Program Files\SetPoint\LBTWiz.exe
  • C:\Windows\system32\wshbth.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTSERV.EXE
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
  • C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe
  • C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BluetoothHeadsetProxy.exe
  • C:\Program Files\SetPoint\x86\SetPoint32.exe

The first two are listed as startup programs and the rest are running or listed under winsock, etc. (And there's the tray applet, which I didn't list since it's just a GUI for one of the others.) So, yeah, there are about a zillion things that could be going wrong here.

Does anyone have the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard set on a Vista machine actually running well? It might be useful to see what BT / mouse programs you have running so that those of us having trouble can trying turning some of the other stuff off. I may have to dig through the Logitech forums to see if they are having the same issue there, since I assume this is Dell-branded Logitech hardware and software.

33 Posts

August 17th, 2009 16:00

I've had the same problem for years after getting my XPS 410. I've had the problem with XP as well, so I don't think it's the OS as much as the drivers or hardware.

1 Message

September 1st, 2009 13:00

I've had an XPS 630i with XP-SP3 for 1 year and have had 3 Logitech Bluetooth multimedia keyboards! After 3-4 months they periodically stopped working. As I'm on a domain, I must log on - difficult without a working keyboard!  The only way to restore functionality (which might last from a few hours to a few days) I had to log in with a USB keyboard and reinstall the Bluetooth/Logitech drivers and restart. Total time wasted about 15 minutes.

So I've broken down and bought a Logitech USB keyboard and mouse set with the same functionality. Hopefully that will be the end of the problem.

Anyone else with Bluetooth problems should do the same.

15 Posts

November 19th, 2009 00:00

I have a 730x with Vista 32 bit ultimate SP 1 on a i7 CPU and the Dell 19 in 1 card reader with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR.

I am using the Bluetooth Dell keyboard and mouse and my third party Bluetooth stereo headphone and headset, all working just fine.

I do not have the following two applications running but, that may be a difference between 730 and 730x though it shouldn’t be:

• C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BluetoothHeadsetProxy.exe
  • C:\Program Files\SetPoint\x86\SetPoint32.exe

After listening to Dell support wanting to replace my motherboard, Bluetooth hardware and reload the OS and my Bluetooth devices not working well at all and coming to the conclusion they did not know what to do, I did the following:

1. Install a USB mouse (USB keyboard is optional).
  2. Create a restore point from the Backup and Restore Center.
  3. Remove all Bluetooth software but not the Broadcom Management Program.
  4. Uninstall all Bluetooth drivers and the card reader drivers (if you have a card reader).
  5. Power down and psychically removed the Bluetooth hardware.
  6. Power up and go to the web site for Dell Support drivers for your XPS 730 and download the Intel chipset (save it to the desktop) and run it from there.
  7. Power down and reinstall the Bluetooth hardware then, power up. The OS will find and install the default drivers which don’t work well (but that’s okay).
  8. Take out the Dell Drivers and Utilities DVD that came with your PC and load it in.  Look for your Bluetooth driver (mine was called 19 in 1 card reader with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR) and install it.
  9. Find, on the web Setpoint 4.8 for 32 bit Vista; download and save it to the desk top then, install from there.
  10. Setpoint will want to find your Bluetooth mouse and keyboard so just follow the instructions.  If it doesn’t then, find and push the Discovery button located on the PC Bluetooth hardware.
  11. From the web site for Dell Support drivers find Dell_multi-device_A00_R152639 and save it to the desk top and install from there.  This is the WIDCOMM application with firmware update.
  12. Open the Bluetooth Devices window and click on the Devices Tab and click on the BT Mouse then on Properties then on the Services Tab and make sure there is a checkmark on Drivers for keyboard, mice… and click OK.  Now click OK on the Hardware Tab then on the Wireless 355C Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR then, click on Properties and then click on the Power Management Tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device… click OK.
  13. It was at this point I added my Bluetooth headset and headphone by using the Bluetooth Devices window and adding a new device.  If you add a headset then you need to go to the Properties for the headset and then on the Services Tab and check the appropriate boxes and click OK.  The drivers will then be added automatically.   
  14. If it all works fine (verify your anitvirus software still works okay) then create another Restore Point.

I don’t know if this will help you but I found that the key was to reinstall the chipset.  When I added that step in the rest fell into place.

Good luck!

5 Posts

June 8th, 2011 15:00

I am having basicly the same problems...however, it appears to be related to sleep mode. My computer works fine but once there is no activity and the system wants to go into sleep mode the wireless keybaord and mouse become non-functional and the system hangsup. The only way to get it working again is to re-boot.

Have found a solution or does anyone have a solution for this problem? Dell has replaced the bluetooth card, keyboard and mouse twice now yet the same thing will occur after a month or so.

No Events found!