Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2012 02:00

XPS 8300 DNS error with kb2732500

Hi

I had a DNS connection error on my XPS 8300 and tracked down the problem to a KB.  It would appear that KB2732500 stops the PC from using DNS.  The PC connects to the router ok, but it has a yellow ! showing.  Once the system is restored to the point before the update, everything works OK.  The frustrating thing is the PC keeps downloading AND running the update even if the update has not been ticked, I have changed the Windows update option to download but let me choose.

Any ideas on how to stop this KB article from installing?  Has anyone else had the issue and worked out a solution?  MS have not come back with anything apart from , "it's an important update so you should install it"

August 27th, 2012 06:00

Hi hootsmadog63,

This issue may occur due to incorrect DNS settings or a corrupt security setting.

1) Let us flush the DNS server to see if that helps. Please follow these steps:

-              Click ‘Start’

-              Inside ‘Search Programs and Files’ type ‘cmd’ (without quotation)

-              Right click ‘cmd’ and click ‘Install as an Administrator’

-              Click ‘Yes’ to ‘User Access Control’

-              Command Prompt window appears (black window)

-              Type ipconfig /flushdns

-              Press ‘Enter’

-              Type ipconfig /registerdns

-              Press ‘Enter’

-              Restart the computer

2) If the security software in your computer is Mcafee, please try the following steps:

-              Please turn of the Computer

-              Restart the system and press F8 repeatedly at Dell logo

-              On the advanced boot menu screen select ‘Safe mode with networking’

-              Click the following link and follow the instructions applicable to Windows 7: http://mcaf.ee/s3b79

3) To fix the issue with Updates, try Windows Update troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run it:

-          Click http://bit.ly/w8ZsPh

-          In the File Download dialog box, click Run, and then follow the steps in the wizard

-          Open Windows Update, and try to install the update again

Please perform these troubleshooting steps and post a reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist.

No Events found!