rdbishop
1 Copper

XPS 8900 Special Edition - Wireless Is Essentially Worthless

I just installed a new XPS 8900 desktob with a dual band Broadcom wireless adapter and it will not connect to my router which is approximately 30 feet away.  I installed a wifi extender in the same room and I could intermittently connect to it but it was not reliable so I reverted to a Netgear A6200 USB adapter and all is fine but I hate paying for something that doesn't work and now I have to use up one of my USB ports plus I normally use the adapter for my work laptop when I bring it home.  Any suggestions other than the obvious update all the firmware which I have already done?

I can connect with my iPhone to the same router and get speedtest.net downloads of over 100Mbps but only was getting 6-12Mbps from the Dell XPX 8900 when it would connect.  The Netgear A6200 USB adapter is getting the 100Mbps connection speed so it I don't think the problem is on the router side.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ieee488
5 Rhenium

RE: XPS 8900 Special Edition - Wireless Is Essentially Worthless

0 Kudos
rdbishop
1 Copper

What's your point?  I have spent the better part of three full days uninstalling and reinstalling the factory image, installing WiFi extenders, reorienting router antennas and trying just about every fix known to mankind in order to get the wireless to work and I have been unsuccessful.  I have been doing this since 1982 so I am not a newbie.  I can only imagine the frustration that a non-technical user would be going through under the same circumstances.  This simply should not be the case when one buys the top of the line desktop from one of the leading PC suppliers in the country.  You should just plug it in and it works.  You should not have to upgrade firmware on a machine that was just built a week ago.  It should be built with the latest drivers.  No excuses for building machines that need to be upgraded by the end use before they can be used.

0 Kudos

Hello,

My first thought would be to check the physical wireless card and antennas in the system to make sure nothing came loose during shipping.  With the additional space in desktops, as opposed to laptops, I've heard of people finding their antenna wires have come loose from the sides of the desktop, or the wireless card has worked loose from it's seating. 

You might also want to follow the antenna lines and where they are located within the system box.  Make sure there is nothing that is situated on top of the antenna (ie sitting on the box) or beside it that could be interfering with the signal strength.  

Also, since your card is a dual-band, what happens if you try to connect at 5.0 GHz instead of 2.4?  (Assuming your router has that capability)

There are some other steps you can try to improve signal connectivity and you can find most of them here at Dell's Networking & Wireless Support Center.  In order for me to better troubleshoot these issues please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your system.  Please keep all troubleshooting discussions here in this thread so others can see what we've tried, and they may find solutions to their problems.

Todd

0 Kudos
rdbishop
1 Copper

I have not opened the computer as of yet but I will give that a shot and check the card.  I have tried connecting to four different access points - 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz on both my Netgear R7000 router and Netgear WN2500 WiFi extender with no success at all.  When the card did make a connection it was only to the router and there was no internet access hence my complaint.  I have absolutely no problems connecting directly to the router using my Netgear A6200 USB adapter.  It connects flawlessly to either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5.0 GHz band.

0 Kudos

I have not opened the computer as of yet but I will give that a shot and check the card.  I have tried connecting to four different access points - 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz on both my Netgear R7000 router and Netgear WN2500 WiFi extender with no success at all.  When the card did make a connection it was only to the router and there was no internet access hence my complaint.  I have absolutely no problems connecting directly to the router using my Netgear A6200 USB adapter.  It connects flawlessly to either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5.0 GHz band.

When it did make the connection to the router (but no internet access) what was the signal strength like?  

It looks like you have the Dell DW1560 card in your system.  Try running the Dell Wireless Diagnostic Utility to see if it finds any issues with the card.  Last, quick, question.  Was your internal wireless card seeing your available networks all the time, or just randomly?

Todd

0 Kudos
sparker5016
1 Copper

I'M ON MY 2ND. NEW XPS 8900.  WHEN IT COMES TO PROBLEMS, TAKE YOUR PICK.  I HAVE WORKED ON THIS THING CONSTANTLY, WITH NO END IN SIGHT.  THEY HAVE REPLACED THE MOTHERBOARD, SAID THE ETHERNET PORT WAS BAD, SAID IT WAS DRIVERS, SOFTWARE AND THE LIST GOES ON. SENT ME A NEW COMPUTER, SAME THING.  I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED.  SOMETIMES THE ETHERNET IS FAST, SOMETIMES SLOW; HANGS UP THE COMPUTER, WON'T BOOT, ETC.  I AM USING WIRELESS BECUSE WHEN YOU PLUG IN THE CORD, STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN.  TOOK ANOTHER COMPUTER AND PLUGGED IT IN AT SAME LOCATION, FLAWLESS.  THAT ELEMINATES THE ROUTER, CORD, PORT ETC.  THIS THING IS VOODOO.  GOOD LUCK !!! 

0 Kudos