Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2013 13:00

XPS L501X no internet connectivity

Hello all.

I can not connect to the internet either by WiFi or ethernet connection on my XPS L501X 64bit running Windows 7. This problem suddenly occurred after a failed microsoft update. The Action Centre lists a number of problems including;

Host Process for Windows Services........................................Windows Update installation problem

Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility (3).......Mp Telemetry

Microsoft Management Console...............................................Stopped working

Network Diagnostics Framework (4).......................................Unable to diagnose/repair problems

Windows Wireless Lan 802.11 Extensibility Framework....Stopped working

I can copy the technical details to Notepad and send them if this would be useful in determining the problem and finding a solution.

Of course, with no internet connection, I have been unable to report the problems, check for solutions or run any online diagnostics and am using another laptop to communicate.

I have downloaded and installed the latest WiFi adaptor (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000) and driver to no avail. I used the Intel updater wizard thingy which uninstalled the old adaptor and installed the new one. I have not updated the Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller driver, but when I click on update driver, it indicates the the latest driver is installed. All devices are listed as working properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2013 14:00

stalkee,

You said the magic word, Thompson.

Contact your ISP, this is a known issue with connecting.

Rick

13 Posts

April 25th, 2013 15:00

Rick,

It is not the router. This issue began when I was using a different router and the other computers using the same router did not have any problems. The laptop I am using to write to you now is connected via the Thomson router and my phone can also connect on it.

stalkee

13 Posts

April 26th, 2013 07:00

Rick,

That has done the trick as far as the wifi connection is concerned.

Should I follow the same procedure for the Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller which, in Device Manager, has a yellow triangle with ! inside, against the " Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport" adapter?

Thanks very much for sticking with me and solving this issue, much appreciated.

All the best.

stalkee

13 Posts

April 26th, 2013 11:00

Rick,

All fixed and working well so, once again, thanks very much.

I don't really understand the power management/wifi miniports stuff, but I,m happy in my ignorance.

All the best.

stalkee

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2013 13:00

stalkee,

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power. Do this for your ethernet connection, just not the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter(s) or they'll go missing.

Doing this helps keep the computer connected.

Rick

13 Posts

April 26th, 2013 19:00

Rick,

Thanks for that.

Should I do it for the Generic USB Root Hubs as well as the others?

stalkee

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2013 20:00

stalkee,

Yes and bluetooth devices, at the top(if you have bluetooth)

Rick

1 Message

October 19th, 2015 14:00

Were you able to solve the internet issue?

January 22nd, 2020 15:00

Hi have the same issue out of the blue since yesterday on my Inspiron 17 5000, either using wifi or Ethernet cable, also tried using my mobile hotspot....guess this depends on a recent dell software update?

No Events found!