Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2013 09:00

XPS M1330 can't find network adapter after reinstalling Windows Vista

Hello everyone,

I am passing my computer on to a family member and wanted to give them a fresh install, so I used the Windows Vista (32-bit SP1) disc that came with the laptop and reinstalled Vista on the computer. Everything worked fine until I wanted to connect to the internet, then Windows said that there were no networks available. When I selected "Why can't windows find any networks" it said that "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured". I put in the Dell Driver's and Utilities CD that came with the computer and installed the drivers that seemed related to networks or communications, but the problem persists. I'm assuming it is some sort of driver issue (as the computer was using wireless internet before the reformat (just hours ago) and so the device itself seems to be working.

I would greatly appreciate any help with getting this running. :)

Thanks!

April 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi Chris,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed on your computer?

If you are facing issues with the wireless, you may follow the steps below to check if the drivers are listed as installed in Device Manager :

• Press 'Windows' + 'R' button on keyboard.
  • Type 'devmgmt.msc' in the Run box without the quotes.
  • In the Device Manager window, expand Network Adapters and check if your wireless card is listed there.

If the wireless driver is not present in the system and appears as Network Controller under Other Devices with a yellow question mark, you may download the drivers from the link :  http://dell.to/QjjZDA -> Enter the service tag of your system -> Select the operating system -> Expand the Network category to download/install the wireless drivers

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2013 11:00

Hi Keilan,

I suggest you to download the latest drivers for the Wireless Network Adapter by entering the Service Tag in the following link and click Submit:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Select the appropriate Operating System and download the wireless adapter driver listed in the “Network” section. Also, install the drivers in the same order as provided in the following link:
http://dell.to/KKYTyt

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

Hello Rajath,

Thank you for the help, unfortunately I have already tried that. In case they are important, I followed the order with the following exceptions:

1. I didn't install the "Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS)" because there is no "System Utilities" category on the driver page.

2. I skipped step 8 because I don't have a Dell Latitude laptop.

3. I skipped both step 9 and 11 because I didn't see the appropriate downloads on the driver page.

Going through the list with those exceptions failed to resolve the issue, although the drivers are installing correctly (for example, the scroll area on my touch pad now works, and it didn't before following those instructions). In the device manager the wireless network adapter is not even listed at present*, and the switch on the side does nothing (that is, the blue "WiFi" light does not come on).

*More details on device manager:

-Under network adapter, only "Broadcom Netlink Fast Ethernet" is listed

-Under other devices, it lists "Network Controller" with a warning sign next to it. Right clicking on it prompts you to reinstall the drivers, which then gives a message saying the device cannot be installed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

Keilan,

Dell Notebook System Software, Chipset drivers and follow the list. The combination of the Dell Notebook system software and the chipset drivers know what is attached to your system. If these are not installed first, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

If you need further assistance, please reply back and DELL-Rajath N will be glad to help.

Rick

4 Posts

January 11th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for your help Rick. I downloaded the Dell Notebook System Software from your link and when I clicked on the resulting executable, I got an error message saying "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Please contact your product vendor."

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2013 12:00

Keilan,

Dell Notebook System Software should install, even if it's in the Compatibility mode

Since this is not installing, DELL-Rajath N should have a solution or be able to find out why.

Rick

4 Posts

January 12th, 2013 22:00

Thanks again Rick, I appreciate your help so far.

I tried formatting again and actually was able to get the System Software by installing it off my Dell drivers disc, and from there I installed all the recommended drivers on the disc following the order given, and unfortunately the problem still persists.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2013 11:00

Keilan,

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

2 Posts

April 10th, 2013 17:00

I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I have gone through the above steps and the problem still persists.  i then ran the "Finding System Information" and got the following error:

C:\Windows\system32>systeminfo 1>c:\systinfo.txt

Loading Network Card Information ...ERROR: Provider load failure

C:\Windows\system32>c:\systinfo.txt

Any help is much appreciated,

Chris

2 Posts

April 15th, 2013 16:00

In Device Manager under Other Devices I fond a yellow question mark over Network Controller.  I then followed your steps and was able to find the correct driver!!

Thank you, I been trying to find the correct driver for a while!

April 16th, 2013 07:00

Hi Chris,

I am glad the issue is fixed.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have any further questions. I would be happy to help you.

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 07:00

Hi, im recently having this exact problem after i reinstalled windows vista 64bit on my dell inspiron 1750. I've been trying for 3 days now to get internet connection working again. When i go to device manager there is no network adapter installed. I also have a yellow mark on Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, SM Bus Controller and Video Devices in the "other devices" tab. I cant acces the internet at all from my laptop but i do have a different working computer. Is there any way for me to download the drivers from the website that you listed? Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

CandyMar,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

No Events found!