Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 12:00

XPS M1530 / Intel 4965AGN WiFi random disconnects

XPS M1530 / Intel 4965AGN running Windows 7 connected to a Linksys N router.

I have 4-5 wireless devices using this router without incident or interruption.

My XPS M1530 has developed a habit of dropping the WiFi connection with no discernible trigger or pattern.  Typically I have to disconnect from my WiFi network and reconnect whereupon the problems disappear for a random length of time....could be 5 minutes or 5 hours.

I have ruled out these causes:

-Signal strength (the unit is in the same place it has always been)

-Router/Internet issues (as before other devices have no problems)

-IP address scheme (DHCP or static IP exhibits same behavior)

In addition I long ago disabled power management a) to troubleshoot and b) who wants their WiFi adapter to sleep in this day and age?

I have used Dell drivers (dated 2007?!?!) and Intel drivers (dated early 2009) with no change in behavior.

I have a Netgear USB WiFi adapter I am using as a comparison - it shows no sign of the problem described.

I doubt seriously any BIOS or OS issues - if in fact a hardware problem is this a replaceable (i.e. modular) part?

1 Message

January 8th, 2010 09:00

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem only since upgrading my M1530 to Windows 7.  I'm currently using the MS drivers dated 3/26/2009 and every minute or two the network stops responding for about 10-15 seconds.  I really notice this because I use RDP a lot and I get no response the remote computer during these dropouts.  I don't notice any changes with the wifi signal strength, which is always at 5 bars.  If I switch to my other laptop, a 5 year old ThinkPad with XP, I have zero issue using RDP wirelessly connecting to the same remote computer.

Scott

1 Message

January 28th, 2010 19:00

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem only since upgrading my M1530 to Windows 7.  I'm currently using the MS drivers dated 3/26/2009 and every minute or two the network stops responding for about 10-15 seconds.  I really notice this because I use RDP a lot and I get no response the remote computer during these dropouts.  I don't notice any changes with the wifi signal strength, which is always at 5 bars.  If I switch to my other laptop, a 5 year old ThinkPad with XP, I have zero issue using RDP wirelessly connecting to the same remote computer.

Scott

I have had the same problem with my internet kicking off at random times, but especially, when I have been downloading what may have been too much information.  Not only inconvenient, but extremely irritating!  I have been searching forums on and off, tried and given up on various suggested solutions, and basically been pulling my hair out everytime I wanted to download anything from ITunes (or any lengthly program). 

Through some weird mishap, I found a solution!  The problem was with the Intel Driver.  You can download an updated driver from this website link http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_iduu.  You will need to go through the steps necessary for the system to read your computer and it will present various downloads.  The download to choose is the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN. 

Hope it helps!

Michelle

No Events found!