Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2016 19:00

XPS13 Windows 10 - Wifi and updated drivers problem

I hope you can help - I am literally at my wits end with my XPS 13 running Windows 10.

The problem is my Broadcom 1560 802.11ac Wifi controller. When the drivers update to the latest version, my wifi looses complete functionality. When going to the network tab of the control panel, it shows the device as disabled. When I try and enable, nothing happens.

The only way I can keep the internet and wifi on my device is to use system restore to 'rewind' the driver update. I have tried downloading the device drivers myself manually - nothing works. I think the new drivers are failing to install due to a software error somewhere.

I have now changed my settings in Windows to stop auto updates of drivers - not ideal, but hopefully a temporary fix.

Please help, before I do something bad to my Dell Lemon....HK technical support are being less then helpful

Lee

5.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2016 10:00

How are you getting the automatic updates? Through a Dell program or by Microsoft software updates? If not, what source. Many third party driver update services are sources of virus and malware downloads. Driver updates are usually not needed unless there is a known problem with the current version. 

April 2nd, 2016 22:00

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

These are auto updates from Dell/Windows -both of which I have now had to disable for all devices. This is the only way to keep my wifi working.

The current driver is 7.35.295.0 (30/07/15) and is working fine. When the auto update installs, I then lose wifi functionality as mentioned in my previous post.

Any ideas?

5.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2016 21:00

You should NOT use automatic driver installation from anyone. You need to control your life, not let others do it. I have never seen Windows offer a wifi driver update, only video driver updates, which I do not allow. If you get a driver update you don't want, just go to the Device Manager and roll back the installation. You can set the updater to NOT include updates unless they are for the Operating System.

No Events found!