Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2010 14:00

broadcom gigabit netlink adapter won't connect at 1Gbps, auto negotiate connects at 10Mbps

Hello,

I'm very pleased with my Alienware Aurora ALX purchase, and happy to be a part of this community.  However, I do have this issue:

The Ethernet adapter won't connect at 1Gbps; here is what I've tried so far:

1) Confirmed that my router is capable of supporting Gigabit Ethernet.  I've got two other devices connected at this speed (an older PC and a NAS).

2) When I set the speed and duplex of the adapter to auto negotiate, it will only connect at 10mbps

3) I notice there is no setting for 1000Mbs in the speed and duplex options.

4) I tried 100Mb full duplex, it will connect but my Internet connection slows to less than 1Mbps (I'm on a 15Mbps connection, and testing the other PC it was able to achieve around 14Mbps).

5) I then tried 100Mb half duplex, this will also connect and my overall network performance is good.

6) I confirmed that I have the current driver from Dell. I've had the computer for 3 days (using windows 7 by the way).

7) I tried all the ports on my router and confirmed that the router side was also set to auto negotiate and not trying to force a specific speed.

I'm hoping that someone has a solution or suggestion to fix this.

Kind Regards,

Jason

1 Message

June 22nd, 2010 14:00

**SOLUTION**  thanks in part to the previous post.

Here's the Giga speed solution that worked for my new Dell Studio 1458.  I read a lot about the slow xfer speeds using the Broadcom NetLink LAN connection.

There were two items I initially did not believe, but were in fact true.

1) You must use a CAT 6 line on ALL of your gigabit capable machines.  I though a good Cat5e line would support giga speeds.  It doesn't.

Apparently, the Dell NetLink card does some initial negotiation with your router (kinda' like a fax machine), then after seeing all your connections,

it will drop the xfer speed down to the lowest common component (i.e. the Cat5e cable).  And;

2) The NetLink card will only give you giga speeds in the auto selection (advanced ethernet properties, speed & duplex).  The speed and duplex window will never

show 1000Mb!  You can verify whether your connection is10/100/1000 by double clicking your Local Area Connection icon.

I verified the speeds of my giga connection via a test utility and by transferring a 200meg file.  The results indicated a speed increase from 12MB/sec to 26MB/sec.

These numbers don't show a factor of ten increase in speeds we would all like to have (too bad), but they are in-line with other people's reported transfer speeds.

Hope this helps!

2 Posts

May 29th, 2010 18:00

I am really curious if anyone has an answer to you.  I bought an Inspiron 580 desktop and I have the EXACT same problem.

Network adapter says it is a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet device.  I loaded the latest driver, but under the Advanced Settings for Speed and duplex, there is no setting for 1000 MB.

I tried using the Dell support Chat today only to be thoroughly disappointed.  They remote connected to my PC to verify the latest driver was installed and then said I could call a pay for support number to continue trouble shooting it.  The PC is new.  This is a problem from the manufacturer.  Why would I pay to fix something that was broke from the beginning?

I hope someone has a suggestion to fix this.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2010 19:00

As a follow up to my earlier reply, I have determined that you can not force a Broadcom device to 1000MB.  It will only connect at this speed using the Auto setting.  This doesn't solve your problem but does explain why you can't find 1000MB speed as a forced setting.

3 Posts

May 30th, 2010 12:00

I actually resolved this issue just by trying a different network cable - couldn't tell you whether it was cat5 or cat6 though. Maybe something to try if you haven't. It connects now at 1Gbps. Good Luck!

4 Posts

August 21st, 2014 05:00

Just to add up. After detecting the same speed issue in my Alienware Aurora I went to try and find why it wouldn't connect 1gbps (like in the past I know it did).

It is, like previous people said, a matter of cable. But since I didn't have any cat6 at home I tested all I have and I finally got is to 1gbps with one new cat5E cable.

So the afirmation that cat5E can't do 1gbps is not true. maybe a good 5e can work for you to, but any way I also suggest using cat6 to be sure...

PS. The 20MB/s you get I'm sure it's because of HD being the bottleneck. Try transfers from/to fast disk like SATA RAIDs or Solid state. Cheers.

1 Message

September 12th, 2014 16:00

You DO NOT need to use Cat6 for gigabit traffic period.  A good Cat5e cable is sufficient and was used for a long time with gigabit before Cat6 came around.  I've even seen gigabit work over short runs of Cat5.

The real problem appears to be the Broadcom Power Management service, so if you disable that and reboot you will be running at 1Gb/s speeds.

David

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 20:00

just wanted to say that i had this exact same problem.

here's my setup:

WAN -> 10/100 ROUTER -> 10/100/1000 SWITCH -> MAIN PC / NODE 1 / NODE 2 / NODE 3 / NODE 4.

I use the nodes for my render farm.

Turns out that all I needed to do was put a CAT 6 cable from the main pc to the switch, and all the other cables can be cat 5e.

You *do* need a cat 6 cable going out of the master pc if you want to get a gigabit net that is auto negotiated by the intel or realtek interface on the motherboard, or it won't work.

+1 for cat 6!

1 Message

May 20th, 2017 04:00

I have just switched a cat5 cable for a cat5E cable and the adapter has now successfully negotiated 1Gb speed. I guess that there are a number of factors -

a) length of cable, approx 10m in my situation. Longer distance will involve greater signal loss and that may push you to using a Cat6 cable.

b) ability/quality of the hardware at each end of the cable. I'm going from the Broadcom gigabit adapter in my PC to a Netgear prosafe Gbit switch. I could have plugged into my router which also has a Gb switch built in and perhaps got a different result.

I tried turning off the power management on the broadcom adapter and it made no difference. I'm running Windows 10 on an HP system so again you may have different results on a Dell box with different drivers perhaps.

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 12:00

My LAN status shows 1.0 Gbps speed.  I have a PC connected with a 35 ft Cat 6 cable to a new gigabit cable modem.  Here's the kicker - when I plug the same cable into a new workstation laptop the internet speed test shows ~985mbs.  But through the PC, again same cable, the PC only gets ~300mps.

I don't trust the speed on the LAN properties to be accurate....

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 17:00

Ask NVdia Gear Techs Supports for Direct ethernet Over RAID DATA Graphical System In Drives Supports for Intall-in.

1 Message

June 16th, 2020 20:00

I can confirm this.

I always use Cat5e to obtain 1Gbps speed. I didn't bother to check the Rj45 connector since i crimped them myself. 

I started tracing it from a port on my router to my laptop using a spare cable. Then, using the same port from router to basement and connect the cable to my laptop ensuring the cable is good. Once I got 1Gbps, i connect it the cable to switch 1. Then, using another cable from switch 1 to my laptop. All good at this point. I have another long Cat5e that connects between switch 1 to the other end of the basement where switch 2 is, the length is only 74 feet. The cable that connects between two switches was getting 1Gbps. From switch 2 port to my laptop was 1Gbps as well but not my desktop. I made sure my i'm connected to the 1Gbps NIC on my desktop and turned off power management but no dice. I didn't have a cable long enough so i daisy chained two Cat5e to my desktop and i was able to get 1Gbps. 

After re-crimping one of the connectors, i am now getting 1Gbps. Turns out the solid green wire and the white/brown wire swapped position.

1 Message

March 25th, 2021 00:00

half of what you said is good , however the cat5 vs cat6 thing you just wrote is completely false , I run cat5 gigabit just fine across my entire network . I have a certifier with results if you would like to see them . Cat6 , i.e. plastic piece in between pairs doesn't make a difference , cat6a with a higher gauge is capable of 10gps in short ( 10M) runs . but your cat5 and cat6 both are gigabit .

If you had a cable with exposed wire on the end on one of your devices this is what would cause that , but i see 103 MB a second on average over cat5 ( net is gigabit too in my case ) and DO NOT have a single cat6 anywhere in household or rack.

No Events found!