Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2007 15:00

can't connect to the internet

I'm sending this message from my PC because I can't connect on the PC with the problem.

Problem:
All of a sudden I can't connect to the Internet using my Dell Dimension 4550.
When I go to Network connections...it says I'm connected. my Norton's works (I thought you had to be connected for the to work) but nothing else connects to the Internet.
I was reading another post in here and it said to bring up ip config/all, and here is what it says:

Host name.....................................Wasted time
Primary Dns Suffix..........................
Nude type.......................................Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.........................no
Wins Proxy Enabled......................no
DNS Suffix Search List..................hsdl.ma.comcast.net

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connector

connection-Specific dns suffix.....hsdl.ma.comcast.net
Dhcp Enabled..................................Yes
Auto address....................................Yes
IP address........................................10.10.10.1
Subnet Mask.....................................255.255.255.0
Default gateway................................10.10.10.1
DHCP Server....................................10.10.10.1
DNS Server.......................................68.87.71.266

The set up I have is a comcast Arris modem, connected to a Linksy wireless-G 2.4 Ghz 54mbps Broadband Router. I have three PC connected. One my main PC ( works fine) one my laptop, (works fine) and the wired PC with the problem connecting

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thanks,
Maddie

22 Posts

June 21st, 2007 13:00

same as before....
My husband says "throw the  pc out the window":smileymad:

22 Posts

June 21st, 2007 14:00

I have 3 PC in my home. 2 wired and 1 wireless laptop. The wireless and my main PC access the Internet just fine!
This PC is my sons. He gave it to me to see if I can figure out the problem of connecting his PC to the Internet.
When I hook up my 3rd. wired PC it connects just fine! So I don't think it's the router.
It has to be something in his PC.

I was wondering my self why no one else has giving any ideas on the problem!
Your a doll for taking the time to try fixing my problem! A BIG THANKS!

I think I'm going to give it a rest for a while. I can't see the screen anymore!!! Very Tired!!
Maddie

49 Posts

June 21st, 2007 15:00

When you are rested and ready to try again...here's something from Dell:

On the working computer, go to: support.dell.com
Select the Dimension product.
Again, select the Dimension, then select the 4550 from the lists given.
Click the Confirm
In the 'search for solution' enter: integrated nic
The search brings up one result. click that link.
For individual components selection pick: Integrated network adapters
Continue with the questions and see how far this self-help features gets you.

22 Posts

June 21st, 2007 18:00

I'm BACK!!

Okay....I'm already stuck on one of the first steps:
Additional Information

The network card must be enabled in the BIOS of the system.

1. Shut down the system.
  2. Once system is powered down, press the power button to restart the system.
  3. When the Dell screen appears, press to enter the BIOS.
  4. Locate the entry for the Ethernet/LAN card and ensure that this setting is enabled.
  5. Save changes and exit the BIOS.

There is no entry for the Ethernet/Lan card in BIOS

49 Posts

June 21st, 2007 19:00

If not found in BIOS, assume it is enabled. Continue on...

22 Posts

June 21st, 2007 19:00

I did...I'll let you know what happens

22 Posts

June 21st, 2007 21:00

I just got finished following the directions and still nothing!
I've had it with this PC. My son will have to back up what he needs and restore to original Windows.

I want to Thank You for all your help!
I noticed that you signed up in here just a few days ago...Your something else! No EXPERT that's been here for a long time has bothered to try to help me(Thanks Guys)
I'm sorry, all your hard work didn't pay off!  I appreciate all that you did for me'

Sincerely,
Maddie

49 Posts

June 21st, 2007 22:00

Sorry I couldn't get to the meat of the problem. Some things are just hard to do long distance. Most problems are brought to me and dropped in my lap. I usually get to investigate these things up close and personal.

Maybe they should install OnStar in computers???

Good luck with the reload. Please post a final message here if that resolved the problem...

28K Posts

June 21st, 2007 23:00

Not all problems are easily solved.  I've been watching the thread, to see if you come up with any information that might give a clue as to what is wrong.  Your problem is baffling.   I suggest you do a System Restore to a date before 6/13/07 and see if that fixes the problem.

Steve

22 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 00:00

Steve,
I followed 14 pages of instructions, from the support section, on Dell's website. That was one of the steps they had me do. I could only go back to the 17th. I don't know why I couldn't go back any further? And of course, it didn't fix anything...
I have been following direction for 3 days...and have done over 50 different things to try to correct this problem, to no avail! I guess some things just can't be fixed!! And this may be one of them! I HATE being defeated...but I give up!
Maddie

Message Edited by maddie1946 on 06-22-2007 04:39 AM

28K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 04:00

So did you try System Restore????????

Steve

22 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 08:00

Like I said in my previous message. I restored it back to the 17th! Couldn't go back any further.

28K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 14:00

It's hard to know exactly what you have or have not done, but have you tried uninstalling the network adapter completely, then reinstalling it?  To do this, first go to the following site and download the drivers for the network adapter:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Copy this file to a known location on the 4550 but don't run it yet. 

Now open Device Manager, expand the listing for Network Adapters, select the Broadcom Gigabit adapter and click on Uninstall.   Now reboot the computer.  If the "New Hardware Wizard" comes up, cancel it.  Then run the file the you just downloaded to reinstall the network adapter.  Let me know if this fixes the problem.  If not, run the ipconfig /all command again and post the results.

Steve

22 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 17:00

Steve,

I will try that latter on tonight when I don't have my grandchildren here. It's too hard to do anything when they're around.
Maddie

22 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 22:00

Steve,
I opened the Device Manager, expanded Network Adapters....What is listed is 1394 Net Adapter and Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection.
Nothing that says Broadcom Gigabit adapter   Is it the Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection I uninstall? I don't want to take out the wrong thing?

Message Edited by maddie1946 on 06-22-2007 06:37 PM
No Events found!