Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2010 10:00

cannot renew ip address

HI.  I'm having difficulty getting an internet connection through my wireless.  My sis-in-law thought she would be nice and close my laptop without shutting it off first, putting it in sleep mode.  When I went to open it up, I no longer had a connection.  I tried my usual restart, which usually fixes it, but not this time.  I have tried to repair the connection, ipconfig/release /renew, tested winsock, unplugged/shut down everything for several minutes.  It always gets stuck on renewing the ip address. 

This is what I see when I do ipconfig in the cmd box and the wireless card is searching.

no connection-specific dns suffix
ip address  0.0.0.0
subnet mask 0.0.0.0
no default gateway

If I try to repair, I get this message once it stops seraching:

windows could not finish repairing the prob because the following action cannot be completed

renewing your ip address
for assistance contact the person who manages your network

Now, I have another wireless in my house, and it's working just fine.  I can connect the laptop to a wire and it's fine.  Just not the wireless.  I'm completely stumped.

I have xp pro, service pack 3, did not install anything new yesterday.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2010 11:00

I still don't have a reason why my ip address never renewed, but I did a system restore as a last resort before taking it in for repair and it worked! 

3 Posts

oops, I have an inspiron E1505. 

wifi is on, just confirmed that with the keyboard combo.  The little green light is on, no one is home....

now it just tried to get a connection again and it says it has little or no connection and the stupid yellow triangle appears on the wireless connection icon.

940 Posts

Try rebooting your wireless router.

I just had a similar problem with a laptop yesterday and what had to be done to fix it was to uninstall the wireless client software and delete the wireless device from "Device Manager" reboot and then reinstall it all again.

1.3K Posts

Just a thought, because you did not say which model laptop you have, but could be your WIFI (wireless card) has been turned OFF.

Check for a switch or "Keyboard" key combinations to turn on WIFI.

March 5th, 2010 20:00

I have the same problem, Except even after a complete reload & using the Dell Updater the wireless is not receving an address from dhcp & when I manualy set the address it will only ping localhost. I have reset the router (I have several laptops + another access point ) The activity sent 153 receved 0

Inspiron 1501 Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

No Events found!