Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2010 01:00

computer wont recognize a wpa-psk

i am trying to connect to my friends wireless network. it doesn't pick up their signal so they gave me all the information to add it manually. when i go to do so, there is never an option for a psk encryption type. all the options either are aes or tkip. how do i fix this on my computer? i am staying with them for a while, so they are also willing to change their type if it can work with mine. any suggestions on what to do?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2010 14:00

jnetti,reidhead,

Your computer must be at least XP SP2 to work with WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security Personal. Try these instructions.

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

More tips at...

Welcome, Please read first (Networking)

Rick

626 Posts

January 20th, 2010 14:00

Are you using the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility?  Which Operating System are you using?  In order to use WPA2 PSK, I had to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility and use Windows XP's wireless managment utility.

Follow the instructions here under "Connecting to a Network That Has Security Settings"

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/p70008/EN/xpbasic.htm#toc_12

And if you're using XP, make sure you have SP3 installed.  And make sure you find out from your friend if he is using WPA2 or WPA, there's a setting in the Windows XP wireless management utility for that.  See below:

No Events found!