Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 19:00

connecting online via wireless Airport modem

I have a mac that connects using AirPort~wireless modem.  I purchased a Dell laptop today with wireless card in it & was told I should be able to connect thru my AirPort fine, just as if I was sitting in a restaurant and connected thru local WiFi.  When I try to connect on my Dell, it asks for my wireless password but will not accept it.  Can anyone help me PLEASE??!!

2 Posts

Thank you so much for responding to me!  I'm so frustrated!!!  Can you tell me how to get to the AirPort configuration page?  What I can find thru control panels does not give the password.  Thank you!!!!

872 Posts

i don't know much about the airport wireless routers, but the older/original ones came with software that you installed on your mac and when you ran the software you could configure all the settings.  but there have been several newer models since then and i suspect apple now have a web based control panel like other routers do...  find the exact model of your airport and google to look for the manual.  or visit apple.com for the manual.  i tried to look for you but without the specific model i could find anything helpful.  but i did find this page that talks about a series of potential connectivity issues with windows pc and airports...  it includes the common issue that i mentioned earlier plus a bunch of other issues that are specific to different airport models.  let us know how you resolve it.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/2008.html

872 Posts

if you open the airport's (the wireless router) configuration page, you should be able to see the settings for your wireless network.  those settings include the type of encryption that is in use and the password.  the password should appear in both the plain text version as well as the hexidecimal version.  make note of the hexidecimal version and use that on your dell/windows laptop when prompted for the wireless password.  the airport and macs are forgiving about the length of a text password but windows is not... using the hexidecimal version of the password allows windows to connect to your router regardless of the length of the text version of the password.  hope this helps.

ps.  if you aven't ever done it, you may also want to look into updating the firmware in your airport (wireless router) as preventitive maintence

No Events found!