Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 18th, 2008 10:00

connecting to apples airport express

Hi,

I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 1150 to apple's airport express so i can use wireless internet. however i have thus far been unable to get connected. does my dell have some kind of third party security system that does not allow this wirless connection to be completed? how do i turn off anything that is stopping me using this product? all help is appreciated.

thanks

28K Posts

January 18th, 2008 13:00

Any security software shipped by Dell would not be set to block a wireless connection.  It would only do so if you told it to.

Since you have provided little infomation on what you have done to get this to connect, let's start from the beginning.  Which wireless network adapter do you have on the 1150?  Does your wireless network adapter show up in Device Manager if you expand the listing for Network Adapters?   If you open Network Connections, does a wireless network connection show up there?  If so, what happens when you right click the wireless connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks"?  Does the Airport show up in the list of avaiable wireless networks?  If so, what happens when you select it and click on the Connect button?

Steve

January 20th, 2008 10:00

Hi steve, thanks for the reply. i'm not too familiar with computers so you will have to bear with me. i have a new computer so what ever the computer came with it has right now. do i have to add a wireless network adapter or is there one already built into the computer? where would i be able to find this information out? when i open uo network connections there is only one local area network connection and no wireless connection. when i use the airport software the airport express assistant does not recognise the airport base station but the airport admin utility does. i don't know if that means anything? please keep in touch and if there is anymore info i can give you please ask, your help is much appreciated. thanks mark

28K Posts

January 20th, 2008 14:00

If the wireless connection does not show up in Network Connections, you may not have a wireless network adapter.  Internal wireless network adapters are on a MiniPCI card that would be inserted in a MiniPCI card slot inside the computer.  To see if you have one, open the MiniPCI card door on the bottom of the computer and look to see if a card is installed and attached to the antenna wires.  See the following document:

Steve
No Events found!