Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2013 20:00

connects fine, but drops off & Intel PROset won't reconnect unless I restart windows

I am using a laptop in my living room which connects fine to my home router located in the bedroom,a distance of 10 m (32 feet) from each other. When the connection between the 2 devices is lost, the only way to get it back is to start Windows because Intel Proset wireless won't reconnect to my home router. Why am I not able to just reconnect with restarting Windows?I am using a 2007 Dell 520 Latitude (used), windows XP Pro version  5.1, Intel PROset wireless

750 Posts

April 25th, 2013 04:00

Hi jon_dell,

We can reinstall the Wireless card drivers which can help us with the issue. Please follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Visit http://dell.to/Mbe3zg enter the system service tag and click Submit.
  2. Click Drivers & Downloads tab, and expand the category Network.
  3. Download and save the Wireless card drivers.
  4. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
  5. In the Computer Management window, click Device Manager.
  6. Double-click Network Adapters to expand it.
  7. Right click the Wireless card listed and click Uninstall.
  8. Restart the computer.
  9. Run the previously downloaded file to install the Wireless card drivers.
  10. Restart the computer.

Please post the results.

30 Posts

May 10th, 2013 03:00

I deleted the Intel Proset driver and reinstalled it as instructed; problem still persisting.

30 Posts

May 13th, 2013 15:00

I deleted the Intel Proset driver and reinstalled it as instructed; problem still persisting.

750 Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi jon_dell,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I would like to know the make and manufacturer of the router that you have.

Also, does the same issue occur with other computers/devices?

30 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 09:00

Netgear DG834G    

Only other devices wireless desktop which never has the same problem as the Dell laptop.

30 Posts

May 25th, 2013 10:00

Netgear DG834G    

Only other devices wireless desktop which never has the same problem as the Dell laptop.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 25th, 2013 12:00

jon_dell,

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router? I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

30 Posts

May 26th, 2013 06:00

Netgear DG834G    router is what I have.

30 Posts

Avira Free Antivirus only.

30 Posts

Recommended Wireless Router Settings link says to

"Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed."

How do I do that if the router is not connected to my Dell laptop?

and "Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)"

How do I broadcast SSID on a Netgear?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 26th, 2013 08:00

jon_dell,

Netgear DG834G Product Specifications looks like this is a wired router.

Did you try...

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

30 Posts

May 27th, 2013 06:00

Rick

I unchecked the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power under

intel(r) PRO/Wireless 3945abg network connection.

Wasn't able to find power options, and change the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance as instructed by you.

I'm on Windows XP, where was the power options?

30 Posts

May 27th, 2013 06:00

I have installed the new drivers for the intel(r) PRO/Wireless 3945abg network connection from the Dell site. Did that sometime before your suggestion to do so. Problem persisted though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 27th, 2013 09:00

jon_dell,

Something about XP that still disconnects, even with these settings. To reconnect, I had th press F2 on my wife's computer. XP just doesn't want to stay connected, unless you keep the system awake, all the time.

Rick

30 Posts

May 28th, 2013 17:00

using Channel 11 now

No Events found!